These Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick, chewy, crispy and loaded with flavour. Made with a secret ingredient, these cookies easily come together in 20 minutes and no mixer is required! (Nut free, Oil free + Gluten Free Option).
Gosh JOLLY. I love cookies.
Somehow, I never get tired of cookies. I’m pretty sure cookies are my favourite thing to recipe develop and bake. Literally, no matter how many batches I make I still crave them daily. I guess thats why I’m always experimenting and testing cookie recipes.
But you guys, todays cookies aren’t just mind blowing, they’re LIFE CHANGING. These are probably my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe, to date…
Okay thats kind of pushing it because I claimed these to be the best vegan chocolate chip cookies (and they are) BUT these brown (coconut) butter cookies are defiantly my current favourite.
So, imagine this: a perfectly baked thick and chewy cookie with *actually* crunchy edges, studded with dark chocolate and an incredible depth of nutty flavours. This is cookie perfection, people.
Get your aprons on, let’s bake!!
Here is what goes in these amazing vegan brown butter chocolate chip cookies:
- Browned Coconut Butter: the MVP ingredient in this vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe! It’s actually VERY easy to make and inexpensive if you make your coconut butter in a blender. My boyfriend and dad didn’t even know the base was coconut because by browning it, it takes on a whole new different flavour– kind of sweet and nutty. It’s truly magical, please make it.
- Maple Syrup: holds these cookies together while also making them chewy.
- Coconut Sugar: pairs so well with the browned coconut butter (think caramel-y flavours) but brown sugar can also be used.
- Aquafaba: i’m convinced that aquafaba is what makes cookies chewy but you can substitute it for 1 flax egg or a plant based milk.
- Almond Flour: gives these cookies that extra buttery flavour.
- Spelt Flour: can also use all purpose flour, gluten free all purpose flour or oat flour for gluten free (see notes).
- Corn Starch: helps these cookies bind and keep their thick texture while creating the crispy edges.
- Chocolate Chips: love using a mix of chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, chopped chocolate bar and chocolate chunks for textural reasons.
- Baking Staples: plus you will need some vanilla, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
How to Make Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies come together in just 20 minutes! I don’t know if you know this but faster cookies = best cookies. This is actually facts.
Here’s a quick run down of how easy and simple it is to make the cookie dough, though:
- Mix the wet ingredients
- Fold in the dry ingredients
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Scoop out the dough and BAKE
Let them cool on the baking sheet (like 2-3 minutes) but not for too long because they continue to bake on the hot pan and the moisture underneath will cause them to get soggy. Transfer them onto a cooling rack and let them cool that way. Or, be impatient and gobble them up warm. They are a little more fragile warm but to be honest, delicious.
Ouu, also don’t forget the flakey sea salt. I mean its optional… but also kinda not.
I love a un-fussy cookies, they just make me love ’em more.
Tips to Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Slightly Warm the Wet Ingredients: this will make mixing the browned coconut butter and other ingredients easier to combine.
- Place Cookie Dough in the Fridge: not essential, but depending on how cold your ingredients and kitchen is, you may want to place the cookie dough into the fridge to prevent overly flat cookies.
- Crispy vs. Chewy: the sweet spot for crispy edges and chewy middles is around 11-12 minute baking time. For crispier cookies, bake for 13-14 minutes. For soft and chewy cookies, bake for 9-10 minutes.
How to Make These Cookies Ahead of Time
You can make the cookie dough in advance and refrigerate it for up to 2 days. I scoop balls of dough onto a baking sheet and freeze them until they’re solid. Then I transfer them into freezer safe bags or containers and store them in the freezer. When ready to bake, put the frozen cookie dough onto a cookie baking sheet and let them sit at room temperature while you pre-heat the oven.
How to Store Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Room Temperature: Keep cookies in a container without fully closing the lid on the kitchen counter for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Put the baked cookies onto a cookie sheet and place into freezer. Once frozen, transfer to freezer safe bags or containers and place back into the freezer for up to 2 months.
I hope you guys try and love these vegan browned butter chocolate chip cookies as much as we do!! Is it kind of mind blowing that these cookies are kinda healthy too? Made without any refined sugar, theres no added oil or butter and they’re eggless too. They are seriously cookie perfection and will complete your life, I promise you.
So now that you have your weekend baking plans set….
More Vegan Cookie Recipes to Love!
- The BEST Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Date Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cashew Butter Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
If you recreate this Vegan Brown “Butter” Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!