Learn how to make Spicy Vegan Tomato Tuna that is just like the real deal! Perfect for rice bowls, poke bowls, sushi, ongiri, crispy rice and more.
We've been having the tomato tuna rice bowl on repeat since we last shared it and lately we've been using the leftovers to make spicy tuna! We usually just make a quick rice bowl or poke bowl but tried it with crispy rice and it's absolutely delicious.
Ingredients for Spicy Tomato Tuna (+Substitutions)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes (250-300g tomato flesh).
- 2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon soy sauce (35ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoon rice vinegar (6ml)
- 1 ½ tablespoon mirin (22ml)*
- 1 ½ tablespoon sake (22ml)*
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (15ml)
- 2 teaspoon kombu dashi granules
- 1 sheet of roasted nori
- 2 tablespoon vegan kewpie mayonnaise (32g)*
- 2-3 teaspoon sriracha, to taste (10g)*
- ¾ teaspoon sesame oil (4ml)
How to Spicy Tomato 'Tuna'
- Prepare tomatoes: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Score the top of the tomatoes and then place them into the boiling water for 45-60 seconds or until the skin starts to peel off. Rotate the tomatoes to ensure even cooking. Scoop the tomatoes out and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. Peel the tomatoes and then slice in half, and then in half again (making 4 segments). Remove the inner seeds and juices from the tomatoes. You should end with a total of 250-300g of tomato flesh.
- Marinate: Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sake, oil and kombu dashi granules to a shallow dish. Add the pieces of tomato and then tear roasted nori on top. Toss everything together, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Remove tomatoes from the refrigerator and then chop the tomatoes until it starts to look minced. Strain the tomatoes with a sieve to remove excess liquid.
- Spicy Mayo: Mix the mayonnaise, sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl. Taste and adjust to desired flavour. Add the tomato tuna and mix to combine. Serve as desired and enjoy!
- Donburi Rice Bowl: Add over a bed of fresh rice for a spicy tuna bowl!
- Sushi / Maki Sushi: Use in maki sushi or hand rolls.
- Crispy Rice: Make some crispy rice and top it off with the spicy tomato tuna.
For the crispy rice
- To make the crispy rice, take 1 cup of cooked (200g) sushi short grain rice and mix with 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar. To make a quick sushi vinegar, stir 2 tablespoon of rice vinegar + 3 ½ teaspoon sugar and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Use 1 ½ tablespoon of this mixture to replace.
- Add the rice to a container and press to mold. Cover and refrigerate until cooled and hardened. Once cooled, remove from container and cut into desired pieces. Heat a pan over medium heat with some oil. Add the pieces of rice and cook each side until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes per side). You can also air fry these by brushing them with some oil and air frying at 400 F for 12 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Top with the spicy tomato tuna with some sesame seeds and scallions and enjoy!
More Vegan Seafood to Try!
- Eggplant Unagi Donburi
- Vegan Tofu Fish Fillet
- Vegan Teriyaki 'Salmon'
- Tomato Tuna Donburi Rice Bowl
- Oyster Mushroom Kaki Fry
- Vegan Chili Shrimps
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Vegan Spicy 'Tuna' recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!