Learn how to make Spicy Vegan Tomato Tuna that is just like the real deal! Perfect for rice bowls, poke bowls, sushi, ongiri, crispy rice and more.
- 2–3 roma tomatoes (250-300g tomato flesh).
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp soy sauce (35ml)
- 1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar (6ml)
- 1 1/2 tbsp mirin (22ml)*
- 1 1/2 tbsp sake (22ml)*
- 1 tbsp neutral oil (15ml)
- 2 tsp kombu dashi granules
- 1 sheet of roasted nori
- 2 tbsp vegan kewpie mayonnaise (32g)*
- 2–3 tsp sriracha, to taste (10g)*
- 3/4 tsp sesame oil (4ml)
- Prepare tomatoes: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Score the top of the tomatoes and then place them into the boiling water for 45-60 seconds or until the skin starts to peel off. Rotate the tomatoes to ensure even cooking. Scoop the tomatoes out and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. Peel the tomatoes and then slice in half, and then in half again (making 4 segments). Remove the inner seeds and juices from the tomatoes. You should end with a total of 250-300g of tomato flesh.
- Marinate: Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sake, oil and kombu dashi granules to a shallow dish. Add the pieces of tomato and then tear roasted nori on top. Toss everything together, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Remove tomatoes from the refrigerator and then chop the tomatoes until it starts to look minced. Strain the tomatoes with a sieve to remove excess liquid.
- Spicy Mayo: Mix the mayonnaise, sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl. Taste and adjust to desired flavour. Add the tomato tuna and mix to combine. Serve as desired and enjoy!
- *Mirin and sake can be omitted but please note the flavour will be slightly different. Add 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- **Substitute regular vegan mayonnaise
- ***You can use any chili sauce of choice such as sriracha, sambal oelek or chili bean paste.
- *Prep time does not include marinating time
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: vegan tuna, spicy tuna, tomato tuna