Vegan Sugar Cookies made with just 8 ingredients like cashew butter, gluten free flour and maple syrup. Easy to make and can be cut out and glazed. Perfect for special holidays like Valentines day! (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
Valentine’s day is right around the corner and whats more cute than baking up homemade cut out sugar cookies for your boothang? Or your girlfriends… or yourself? I love chocolate and all but sometimes I just want some good ol’ sugar cookies!
I have nostalgic memories of making cut out sugar cookies around this time of year when I was in elementary school for all my classmates. My favourite part of decorating them!
Ingredients in Vegan Cut Out Cookies
These vegan cut out cookies are based off my almond flour sugar cookies which are soft and chewy in texture. I wanted to tackle a version that are crispy and have a decent snap to them while still being buttery and soft. The ingredients used here are critical for success as each plays a role in achieving the perfect vegan sugar cookies:
- Cashew Butter: makes these cookies buttery, replaces the oil and binds the ingredients together.
- Maple Syrup: helps hold the cookies together while giving subtle sweetness.
- Super Fine Oat Flour: to achieve smooth sugar cookies, go with store bought fine oat flour.
- Rice Flour: the secret ingredient that gives these cookies their ‘snap’.
- Tapioca Starch: binds these ingredients together and keeps them tender in the middle
How to Make Vegan Sugar Cookies
- First, we have to make the vegan sugar cookie dough by mixing all the ingredients together into a bowl. The dough should be workable and not overly sticky or dry.
- Roll out the rough using a rolling pin (or alternative) 1/4 of an inch in thickness. Too thick = chewy sugar cookies. Too thin = burnt sugar cookies (trust me haha).
- Then bake them in the oven for 8 minutes. Depending on how big the shape of your cookies are, they may only take 6-7 minutes. Keep an eye on them and take them out as soon as you see very faint brown edges!
- Let them cook on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes until you can handle them. Use a spatula to help you transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before glazing them.
How to Make Vegan Sugar Cookie Icing
So there are three ways to go about making vegan icing:
- Coconut Butter Variation: melt down the coconut butter and use as is or add a bit of fruit powder for colour. It is a little harder to work with and has coconut flavour to it but keeps very well and tastes AMAZING with these cookies.
- Coconut Sugar Glaze: make powdered sugar using coconut sugar for a light brown glaze colour which is a healthier refined sugar free alternative and just stir in a small bit of non-dairy milk.
- Most traditional (but healthier): using powdered organic cane sugar, some non dairy milk and some powdered fruit colouring OR natural food colouring.
I hope you guys make these vegan cut out sugar cookies and share them with your loved ones this valentines day!
More Vegan Cookies to Love ♡
- The BEST Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies *classic and reader favourite*
- Almond Flour Sugar Cookies (Soft & Chewy)
- Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
- Date Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies (Oil Free + Gluten Free)
If you recreate this Vegan Cut Out Sugar Cookies recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!