This single serving microwave vegan cinnamon roll in a mug is incredibly quick and easy to make without any kneading, rising or baking! Moist, fluffy and made with healthy ingredients. (gluten free option)
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls for day 2 of mug cake week!
You guys, I'm SOOOO excited about this one. I love cinnamon rolls but most of the time I'm waaay too lazy to make a whole batch and this you guys, this recipe has answered all my woes. No kneading, no rising, no baking.
See the cinnamon roll in the photos? It's made in the microwave, in under 5 minutes with the simplest of ingredients. Quick, easy and fuss free.
They come out super fluffy and moist, and it's the perfect amount of sweetness!
What You Need
I love that this recipe is made with just 8 healthy ingredients, basically everything you would eat for breakfast!
- Spelt Flour: I found the texture to be best with all purpoe flour texture is best with spelt and all purpose flour. I've also tested this with oat flour and it works well but it is slightly more dense in texture.
- Banana + Dairy Free Milk: Provides moisture to the bread.
- Apple Cider Vinegar + Baking Powder: Makes it perfectly fluffy without instant yeast!
- Tahini or Cashew Butter: To keep it oil free but you can totally use dairy free butter.
- Coconut Sugar + Cinnamon: Again, feel free to use any granulated sugar of choice.
And if you fancy a glaze, I switch between these two combos:
- More traditional: Powdered Sugar + Coconut Milk (or any milk)
- A little healthier: Coconut Butter + Maple Syrup
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls in a Mug
Compared to all other mug cakes, this one does take a bit more effort because you have to roll it into a cinnamon bun shape but it comes out as a beaut and is so worth the effort!
- Prep the dough: mash the banana into a bowl and then mix in the apple cider vinegar and half of the non dairy milk. Then add in the flour and baking soda and mix until just combined. If the dough seems dry, add the rest of the non-dairy milk little by little.
- Roll the dough: Dust your working surface and hands with flour and transfer the dough on top. I use a mini spatula to get all the dough out. Dust with more flour so it doesn't stick to your hands (this is SUPER IMPORTANT! it will be a hot mess if you don't) and then roll it out into a rectangle. Then spread the tahini and sprinkle on the cinnamon and coconut sugar. Roll it back up and then carefully put it into a 10 oz mug (or tall bowl).
- Microwave: Then microwave for 1 minute- the top should looked baked without any raw looking dough. You may need to add 10-20 more seconds depending on the strength of your microwave. DO NOT over cook though or it'll be super dry.
Just for fun, I timed myself to see how long it takes to make this and in total 2 minutes and 56 seconds! A delicious incredible fluffy and moist cinnamon bun in 3 minutes, it's kinda mind blowing.
How to Make it Gluten Free: Substitute spelt flour for all purpose gluten free four or gluten free oat flour.
How to Make it in the Oven: Use a oven safe mug and bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes or until fully cooked.
This has been my go-to breakfast for the past week and also came up with a couple variations to change it up!
Before rolling the dough back up add:
- thinly sliced bananas for a banana cinnamon roll
- mini chocolate chips for a chocolate chip cinnamon roll
- drizzle caramel sauce for a caramel cinnamon roll
- swap the tahini for black sesame paste instead and make a matcha glaze
And I feel like you could totally swap out the cinnamon sugar and stuff it with sliced strawberries-- the options are endless!! I really hope you try and love this single serving cinnamon roll as much as I do and have fun with all kinds of variations!
More Vegan Single Serving Desserts to Love:
If you recreate this Vegan Microwave Cinnamon Roll in a Mug recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!