These Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies are salty, sweet and chocolate-y. Made with just 6 plant based ingredients, they’re healthy and high in protein thanks to the chickpeas! Vegan, gluten free & oil free.
Chickpeas are a STAPLE in my pantry. They’re good for anything from savoury to sweet. Chickpeas used in savoury dishes is a given, nothing special here- but chickpeas used in desserts?! Yes, it’s a thing. Today I’m sharing with you one of many ways you can use chickpeas in sweets: Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies made from Chickpeas!
Whats awesome about these Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies (aside from the fact that they’re made with CHICKPEAS)?! Well, they’re made with just 6 ingredients!!
- chickpeas (duh)
- all smooth peanut butter (only peanuts as the ingredient)
- maple syrup (only ¼ cup for the whole recipe!!)
- baking powder
- gluten free pretzels
- dairy free chocolate chips
Plus, it’s basically all made in just one bowl (the food processor acting as a bowl). I’m always about washing less dishes 🙂
Just to exemplify how versatile chickpea is, let me share with you other ways I LOVE using chickpeas in desserts and sweets:
- high protein chickpea cookie dough
- chickpeas in smoothies
- chickpeas in milk shakes
- fudge made with chickpeas
- frozen desserts with chickpeas
- & you bet I’ll be sharing some of these recipes real soon!
In the meantime, definitely give these Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies a try! If you’re too lazy to bake, you can honestly even eat this raw. Leave the baking soda out and eat it straight out of the food processor. BAM, the best Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookie Dough! Healthy, high in protein and actually tasty.
Why I LOVE these Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies and hope you do too! They’re:
- packed with protein
- only 6 ingredients
- gluten free
- oil free
- & damn tasty!!
Tips and Tricks to making Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
- if you have time, I recommend de-skinning your chickpeas. This yields a nicer consistency for the cookies!
- Depending on the size of your food processor, you may have to work in batches. Add half the ingredients into each batch.
- These cookies do not spread, so if you like a flatter cookie flatten them out before placing them into the oven.
- Use natural runny peanut butter for the best texture.
More cookies to love!
If you recreate these Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies please share it and let me know what you think by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
These Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies are salty, sweet and chocolate-y. Made with just 6 plant based ingredients, they’re healthy and high in protein thanks to the chickpeas!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 15 cookies 1x
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed (287g)
- ½ cup roughly crushed pretzel sticks, (40g)
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp peanut butter (232g)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (80g)
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (45g)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add them into a food processor and process until broken down. Add in the peanut butter, maple syup, vanilla extract and baking powder. Process until a smooth dough like consistency forms.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and crushed pretzels with a spatula or you can pulse it through using the food processor. Using a spoon or cookie scooper, scoop the cookie dough out onto a lined baking tray (around 1 tablespoon size each).
- Top with some pretzel pieces. Place into the oven for 25 minutes, rotating half way.
- Allow it to cool and enjoy!
- I’ve found that chickpeas made from scratch yield better cookies than from the can, but for convenience, the canned ones work just fine.
- Best eaten the day of, but can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days in a air tight container.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 114mg
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: chocolate chip chickpea cookies