A quick and easy version of Melon Pan (メロンパン), this melon pan toast is made with just 4 ingredients in under 15 minutes! The perfect way to switch up your toast toppings. Vegan + healthier & gluten free option.
Melon pan was probably one of my favourite Japanese sweet bread (Kashi Pan) next to Anpan (red bean paste bun) growing up. Every summer when my family and I would go back to my grandmas place in Japan, she would have melon pan on the table ready for us to devour when we landed.
Melon pan can be found everywhere in Japan but living in Canada, there was only one place that had it. My mom went to a couple local Japanese bakery workshops and learned how to make melon pan. On Sundays, she would bake up a batch and I looked forward to it every week.
As we got older, we all got busier and my mom started to make us this melon toast instead. The first time I tried it I was BLOWN AWAY. As much as I love fluffy melon pan, something about the cookie layer over a thick slice of toasty bread… mmm. I recently had a sudden craving for this and was able to easily make it vegan by simply removing the egg yolk and swapping the butter for vegan butter. I am so excited to share this recipe with you so lets get to it!
How to Make Melon Pan Toast
It typically takes about 2-3 hours to make melon pan but with this quick and easy toast version, you can make it with just 4 ingredients in under 15 minutes!
The Ingredients (+ Substitutions)
Original Version: this is the version I grew up eating and is more indulgent but SO worth it.
- Cane Sugar
- Vegan Butter: or vegan margarine
- Cake Flour: you can also use AP flour or gluten free all purpose blend.
Healthier Gluten Free Version: I knew I’d get some questions about whether it can be made healthier so I tested a few variations and actually loved how this one came out! Slightly less crispy but still delicious.
- Bread: use gluten free bread
- Almond flour
- Cashew butter: make sure to use one thats runny
- Coconut Sugar: or any dry sugar of choice
- Maple Syrup
- Make the cookie dough: mix the cane sugar, vegan butter & cake flour until well combined. Spread over bread and then use a sharp knife to make diagonal hatch marks about 1/4 of an inch (3/4 cm) apart.
- Toaster method: in a toaster oven for about 5 minutes or until slightly golden brown and crispy.
- Oven method: bake at 350 F (180 C) for 8-10 minutes, keeping an eye on it towards the end so it doesn’t burn.
If you want to change up the flavours, here are some more delicious variations to try:
- Pumpkin pie spice: add 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Matcha: substitute 1/2 tsp of flour with matcha
- Cocoa: substitute 1 tsp of flour with cocoa powder
- Strawberry: substitute 1 tsp of flour with strawberry powder
- Vanilla: add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Caramel: add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Melon: add 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
If you recreate this Melon Pan Toast recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!