Spice up your scrambled tofu with this mega flavourful Kimchi Tofu Scramble! Ready in under 15 minutes, this protein packed plant based meal is great for any meal of the day.
Every few months, my mom would go over to her friends place and they would make a HUGE amount of kimchi together. She would bring it home in this ginormous bucket. By the time there was a quarter left the kimchi usually gets really sour, tangy and pungent so she would use that to make kimchi fried rice, kimchi scrambled eggs, kimchi grilled cheese, kimchi stews, kimchi omelettes and kimchi pancakes.
Last Friday, I had nothing in the fridge except some scallions, homemade kimchi and tofu so just threw this kimchi tofu scramble concoction together and I honestly was blown away. I didn’t expect it to taste as good as it did! Goes to show how kimchi can make anything taste extra delicious.
Ingredients for Kimchi Scrambled Tofu
This variation of tofu scramble is based off my favourite tofu scramble that I shared awhile back. I’ve gotten so much positive feedback for that recipe I decided to just keep it as is.
The eggy sauce consists of:
- Non dairy milk
- Soy Sauce: you can omit this and sub with salt to taste
- Cashew butter or Asian sesame paste: makes the scrambled eggs creamy like real eggs would
- Nutritional yeast
- Miso paste
- Black salt
For the scramble, you’ll need:
- Firm tofu: holds its shape well but still soft and egg-like texture.
- Soft tofu: enhances that runny-eggy texture.
- Kimchi: I used old homemade vegan kimchi but you can use your favourite! I do recommend using a older kimchi as it has more of a tangy flavour.
How to Make Kimchi Tofu Scramble
- Make the ‘eggy’ sauce: stir or blend all the sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Tofu: Heat a pan over medium high heat and use your hands to crumble in the patted dry firm tofu. Add the soft tofu in and break into large chunks with your cooking utensil. Tip: don’t smush the tofu but use the side of the cooking utensil to break them into chunks. As you mix later, they’ll naturally break apart.
- Combine: Pour the sauce to the tofu mixture and gently stir until combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 3 minutes without mixing to let the tofu absorb the sauce. Add white parts of the scallions or add later with the green parts if you like a stronger flavour. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time if the sauce evaporates quickly to prevent it from burning.
- Once the sauce is mostly reduced and is the consistency you like, turn off the heat and stir in green parts of the scallions and kimchi.
- Gently stir the kimchi through and then serve!
There are so many ways you can enjoy this tofu scramble too! Here are some of my faves:
- with avocado toast
- over a bed of rice
- stir fried with some soba noodles
- in a wrap
- in sandwiches
Oh and if you have some dairy free cheese on hand… highly recommend adding some on top SO GOOD!
More Vegan “Egg” Recipes to Try:
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Kimchi Tofu Scramble recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!