These Browned Coconut Butter Cookies are soft, buttery and studded with crunchy maple pecans. They have an incredible toasty and rich flavour Made with just 9 healthy ingredients! Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free + Refined Sugar Free.
This is my 4th cookie recipe in a row.... at this point I should have just done Cookie Week. Can you blame me though? It's cookie season!! It's probably one of my favourite things to do in December when it's this cold outside. Holiday music, a creamy latte, hot ovens... the VIBES!
Today I'm sharing with you these Browned Coconut Butter Maple Pecan Cookies! What is Browned Coconut Butter? Well it's just coconut butter that has been browned, much like browned butter. I have a tutorial on how to make it here on the blog and I highly recommend you trying it out. It's a totally different experience than your typical coconut butter. Toasty, nutty, rich and deep in flavour.
I've been seeing a lot of browned butter cookie recipes on pinterest lately and wanted make a healthier version! Coconut butter + maple + pecan just sounded so right and since maple pecan is trending right now I had to jump on the bandwagon and I'm so glad I did cause these cookies are damn good.
They kind of have a soft short bread like consistency but are still moist on the inside and the flavour of these cookies are out. of. this world. Ready to make them?! LETS GO.
Ingredients in Vegan Coconut Maple Pecan Cookies
These Vegan Browned Coconut Butter Cookies require just 9 simple ingredients:
- Coconut butter: I highly recommend taking the time to brown your coconut butter. It reduces the strong coconut flavour and brings out this deep toasted flavour and it's just so amazing. BUT you can also just use regular coconut butter. The coconut butter should be pourable and runny.
- Maple syrup: Give this amazing maple flavour and this somewhat helps hold these cookies together while giving it a chewier texture
- Non-dairy milk: I like to use full fat coconut milk because I find it helps with the moisture of these cookies but any non-dairy milk will work here.
- Coconut sugar: For sweetness.
- Vanilla: Brings out so much flavour in these cookies!
- All Purpose Gluten Free Flour: or regular all purpose flour
- Tapioca starch: Helps hold these cookies together.
- Pecans: Cause these are pecan cookies!!
In addition to the ingredient above, you will also need baking basics like baking powder and salt.
How to Make Browned Butter Coconut Cookies
So before we get into making the actual cookie, have your browned coconut butter ready and done by following the instructions in this How to Make Browned Coconut Butter blogpost.
Now for the actual cookies...
- Mix the Wet Ingredients together: Pour the melted coconut butter, maple syrup, non dairy milk, coconut sugar and vanilla into a bowl and whisk together. Be sure all the ingredients are warm or at room temperature!
- Mix Dry Ingredients In: Add in the oat flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt and mix until a dough forms.
- Fold in the Chopped Pecans: Use a spatula for this- makes it much easier.
- Portion out the Dough: I like to use a food scale to ensure each portion is the same size. Roll them into balls and then press a pecan in on top. Then bake for 8 minutes at 350 F. TIP: DO NOT OVER BAKE. They can go from perfectly moist to dry in just a minute.
- Let them cool on the baking tray and then on a wire rack before eating!
How to Store Browned Coconut Butter Maple Pecan Cookies
- Cookie Dough: Cookie dough can be kept refrigerated in an air tight container for 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. To bake, keep it out on the counter while the oven preheats and then bake as directed.
- After the Cookies are Baked: Once fully place into an air tight container and keep at room temperature for up to 4 days. Freeze baked cookies for up to 1 month.
Helpful Equipment to Make These Coconut Browned Butter Cookies
- Food Scale: Its much easier to measure out the coconut butter using a food scale!
- Cookie Scoop: To keep the size of the cookies the same.
- Cookie Baking Tray: The best are mid-tone coloured baking tray to encourage even baking.
- Parchment Paper / Silicon Baking Mat: For easy clean up and to prevent over burning the bottom.
Well thats it friends! I hope you give these Browned Coconut Butter Maple Pecan Cookies a try and love them as much as I do! ❤️
Craving More Cookies? Check out my other faves!
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you recreate this Browned Coconut Butter Maple Pecan Cookies recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!Print
Browned Coconut Butter Maple Pecan Cookies
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 14 cookies 1x
These Browned Coconut Butter Cookies are soft, buttery and studded with crunchy maple pecans. They have an incredible toasty and rich flavour and are made with just 9 healthy ingredients! Vegan, Gluten Free, Oil Free + Refined Sugar Free.
- ½ cup browned coconut butter, pourable state (120g)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, room temperature (80g)
- ¼ cup dairy free milk, room temperature (60ml)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (48g)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cup all purpose gluten free flour (180g)
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch (22g)
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ heaping cup pecans, divided (70g)
- Fancy salt, optional
- Pre heat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Chop half of the pecans to fold into the batter and reserve the other half to press onto the top of the cookies at the end.
- Into a large bowl, pour in the coconut butter, maple syrup, non dairy milk, coconut sugar and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Then add in the oat flour, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt and mix until a dough forms. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Using a cookie scoop or food scale, measure out 14 portions (around 40g each) and roll them into balls. Place them onto a lined baking tray leaving at least 1 inch of space between each cookie dough. Then press in the remaining pecans on top.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes, take them out and then let set on the hot baking tray for 10 minutes. DO NOT over bake as they will come out dry. Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in a airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Freeze baked cookies for up to 1 month.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20.8gg
- Fiber: 3gg
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan pecan cookies, coconut butter cookies, vegan brown butter cookies
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!
super yummy! thanks for the recipe (gonna try your new matcha shortbread next)!