These Vegan Lemon Cupcakes topped with a light coconut yogurt cream frosting are soft, moist and bursting with citrus flavour! The perfect easy cupcakes for spring and summer. (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
Gather around friends, let’s welcome the first cupcake recipe on the blog!
Considering how much I love muffins, I can’t believe I don’t have a single cupcake recipe up yet– since muffins and cupcakes are practically sisters right?
Above all desserts (sorry chocolate, love you still), lemon flavoured sweets are my absolute favourite and it’s a quintessential flavour for spring and summer. Bright, light and intensely lemony!
How to Make Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
These soft and fluffy cupcakes are made with just 8 wholesome ingredients— adapted from my beloved lemon poppyseed muffins. The combination of these ingredients bake up the perfect cupcakes while keeping it gluten free, dairy free, oil free, egg free and basically flourless.
- Lemon Juice + Zest: I love my cupcakes LEMON-Y. If you prefer just a hint of lemon flavour, you can substitute some of the lemon juice with non dairy milk.
- Silken Tofu OR Non Dairy Yogurt: Friends, I think I’ve found my new favourite egg replacer! After testing this recipe 4 times, I found using a combination of both silken tofu and non dairy yogurt to produce the most fluffy and moist cupcake. But if you only have one, it still works and comes out delicious– just keep in mind that the texture is slightly different with each variation.
- Oat Flour + Almond Flour: Forever my favourite gluten free flour blend!
- Potato Starch: I tested this recipe with tapioca starch, corn starch and potato starch. Again, I found a combo of potato starch and tapioca starch to produce the best texture– the all tapioca is slightly more dense and chewy and the all potato starch is slightly more crumbly– BUT the different is very subtle and both still come out great.
- Baking Soda: Since these cupcakes are eggless, this helps with the fluffiness and rise.
- and of course, a bit of vanilla and salt for finishing touches!
Now for the frosting, I decided to go with a light coconut yogurt-cream frosting because I think it pairs super well with the zingy fresh lemon flavour. You’ll need a can of coconut cream, non dairy yogurt and some sweetener. For the coconut cream, I highly suggest using Nature’s Charm Whipped Cream OR Savoy Coconut Cream. These are the only two brands I have consistent success with. I tried using both powdered sugar and maple syrup and both work.
Another reason why these lemon cupcakes are the best? They’re incredibly easy to make and all you need is 1 bowl, a whisk and a cupcake pan. And maybe a spatula if you wanna get every gram of batter out.
- Mix the wet ingredients until combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients in until a thick batter forms. There should be a lot of bubbles starting to form now.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and pop them into the oven ASAP! The baking soda reacts as soon as it hits the lemon juice and we want to keep those bubbles as much as possible for the fluffiest cupcakes.
- Once they’re done baking, let them FULLY cool before frosting.
Tall. Fluffy. Soft. And that tender CRUMB!! Say goodbye to gummy gluten free cupcakes 😂
Best Way to Store Cupcakes
Before storing cupcakes, make sure they are completely cooled on a wire rack. Only frost the cupcakes before consuming (they will keep at a cool-temp for 1-2 hours but not in a hot environment), especially because we’re using coconut cream frosting for these cupcakes. For unfrosted cupcakes, store them in an air tight container covered for up to 2 days. To freeze, place them in a freezer safe container or bag and store for up to 1 month.
More Vegan Summer Dessert Recipes to Love!
If you recreate this Vegan Lemon Cupcakes recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!