This Vegan Key Lime Pie is made mini for easy sharing. Creamy, tangy bites of deliciousness that doesn't require baking- the perfect summer time dessert! Gluten free, Dairy free + Oil free.
Before summer even started, I knew I wanted to make a non-dairy key lime pie recipe because 1. my family is slowly becoming lactose intolerant and 2. we LOVE key lime pie! I love sweets that are not too insanely sweet, which is why this tangy fruit works so well in desserts. Similarly to my Vegan Lemon Bars, it has the perfect balance of sweetness, sourness and tangy-ness.
Ingredients for No Bake Pie Crust
When I was testing this recipe, it was a super humid and hot day and said no to baking. I decided on a no-bake vegan key lime pie because who wants to turn on the oven in this weather anyways? So the crust is made from:
- almond flour
- coconut butter
- and a pinch of salt
And this works so well because the dates hold it together, the almond flour gives it a nice buttery base, but the buckwheat contrasts that with a bit of crunch. This is easily pressed into around 6 muffin tins and bam you got a delicious no bake crust!
Now for the filling, I actually first went with avocado and blended that up with some coconut condensed milk and lime juice, but something was just off. I decided I could spare a few minutes on the stove to make a tastier filling using:
- full fat coconut milk
- lime juice + zest
- condensed coconut milk
- corn starch
- & agar
I've been loving condensed coconut milk lately, and since traditionally key lime pie is made with condensed milk this worked so well! If you can't get your hands on condensed coconut milk, you can totally substitute it for any liquid sweetener of your choice.
How to make No Bake Mini Key Lime Pies?
I wanted this recipe to be especially simple because its summer... and who wants to be in the kitchen for a long time??
- The crust is processed until it forms a dough. That gets pressed into some muffin tins and chilled while we make the filling.
- The filling ingredients get mixed together over medium high heat just until the corn starch is mixed through and the agar is fully dissolved. This takes less than 5 minutes!
- Pour the filling into the crust and let it chill to set. Thats it, easy peasy lime... squeezy (that was a bad joke).
Substitutions for Vegan Key Lime Pies
- To keep this a non-dairy key lime pie, I used condensed coconut milk, However, if you are okay using dairy you can substitute it for regular condensed milk. If you prefer a key lime pie without condensed milk, any liquid sweetener of your choice will work.
- For a vegan key lime pie thats nut free, substitute the almond meal for coconut flakes OR a seed meal such as hemp or sunflower. Coconut flakes will definitely bring on a strong coconut flavour (which I didn't mind at all). To make hemp or sunflower seed meal, simple blitz it into the food processor until fine.
- No buckwheat on hand? Use rolled oats instead! I chose buckwheat for that extra "crunch" which I like for texture purposes, but rolled oats worked just as fine.
Tips & Tricks to making perfect Vegan Key Lime Pies
- Make sure to stir consistently and constantly so that the agar and corn starch fully dissolve and mix through with the rest of the ingredients. When agar is not fully mixed through, the filling becomes clumpy and un even in texture.
- The matcha is added for colour, but feel free to skip if you don't have any on hand. If you do use matcha and you notice little clumps, strain the filling through a mesh-strainer.
More summer recipes to love!
I hope you guys try and enjoy this delicious Vegan Mini Key Lime Pies! If you liked this recipe, I think you might really enjoy these summer sweets as well:
- Vegan Lemon Bars
- Japanese Coffee Jelly
- Pineapple Coconut Panna Cotta
- Almond Jelly
- Balsamic Roasted Cherry Ice-cream
- Frozen Banana Pops
If you recreate these mini Vegan Key Lime Pies let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
Vegan Key Lime Pie
This Vegan Key Lime Pie is made mini to easily share. Creamy, tangy bites of deliciousness that doesn't require baking- the perfect summer time dessert!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 pies 1x
- Category: Sweets
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: North American
- ¾ cup dates (110g)
- ⅓ cup almond flour (32g)
- ⅔ cup buckwheat, divided (70g)
- 1 tbsp coconut butter (15g)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
Key Lime Filling:
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ¼ tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoon coconut condensed milk
- ½ tsp agar agar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Crust: Into the food processor, add in half the buckwheat and process until it resembles flour. Add in the rest of the crust ingredients and pulse blend until it becomes similar to the texture of dough. Divide the dough into 6 and press into muffin tins. Place that into the freezer to chill.
- Filling: Over medium high heat, add the lime juice, vanilla, condensed milk and cornstarch. Whisk consistently until it begins to boil. Then add in the coconut milk, agar, matcha powder and lime zest. Stir constantly until agar is completely dissolved (around 1 minute).
- Assemble: Pour the filling over the chilled tart crust. Place it into the fridge to chill until the filling is set. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 mini pie
- Calories: 203
- Sugar: 16.25g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: no bake mini key lime pies