These Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins are moist, flavourful and loaded with healthy ingredients! They’re easy to make and are perfect for a on-the-go breakfast or snack. Oil free, Refined Sugar Free & Gluten Free Option
It’s March. It’s carrot season ya’ll.
Okay, I actually don’t know when it’s officially carrot season because they’re sold all year around for relatively cheap BUT I do know that march means we’re approaching spring, which means easter is right around the corner, and to me easter means carrots!
What You Need for Carrot Muffins
Even though these carrot cake muffins taste like a treat, they’re actually made with healthy ingredients! So yeah, totally have one (or 5) for breakfast.
- Carrots: (duh)
- Flax Egg: we’re using the handy flax egg to replace eggs thats typically used in muffins
- Non dairy milk + apple cider vinegar: this combo makes a butter milk and will help activate the baking soda for that nice fluffy tall muffin
- Banana: makes these muffins moist without adding any oil
- Coconut Sugar: or any sugar of your choice
- Walnuts & Raisins: it ain’t carrot cake without walnuts and raisins people… but if you really want swap it for other nuts, seeds or dried fruit
- Spelt Flour: you can also use all purpose flour, gluten free all purpose mix or oat flour (see notes)
- Almond Flour: again helps with the moisture without added oils
- Tapioca Starch: helps bind these muffins and make the perfect crumb
- Baking Powder + Baking Soda: for the tallest fluffy carrot muffins!!
- Flavour: vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, cloves & salt
How to Make Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
Muffins are a meal prep lovers best friend. Not only do they keep and freeze really well, but they’re also so easy to make! Let show you just how easy:
- Mix all wet ingredients together
- Add the dry ingredients and fold it into the wet until JUST combined (you will see streaks of flour and thats okay)
- Fold in the carrots, raisins and walnuts (this will finish off mixing the dry ingredients)
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through– use the handy toothpick test to check.
Tips to Making Vegan Carrot Muffins
- Fill Muffin Tins to the TOP: Filling them to the top will help achieve that tall muffin!
- Toss Raisins in Flour: if you have sticky raisins, toss them in 1-2 tsp of flour so you don’t end up with half a batch of muffins packed with raisins.
- Size of Grated Carrots: I like to use a medium to large size grate because then I can actually get the texture and flavour of the carrots.
- Weigh Ingredients: as always, I recommend weighing out the ingredients as this ensures the most accurate and perfect muffins!
How to Store Carrot Cake Muffins
- Room Temperature: once fully cooled, store in air tight container lined with paper towel for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: to keep them for longer, freeze them individually in an air tight bag or container. To reheat, microwave for 30-60 seconds with a damp paper towel around it until warmed through.
I hope you try and LOVE these carrot cake muffins as much as I do! You can totes go all out and frost them up with some cashew frosting, coconut whip cream or even a nice coconut butter glaze!! Okay yeah, that definitely needs to happen..
More Delicious Vegan Muffins to Try!
- Vegan Banana Blender Muffins (gluten free, oil free)
- Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (gf, of)
- Banana Protein Muffins (gf, of)
- Healthy Vegan Pumpkin Muffins (gf, of)
- 1-bowl Chocolate Chip Tahini Muffins (gf, of)
If you recreate this Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!