This vegan lemon blueberry loaf cake is so soft, moist and bursting with fresh blueberries! With a soft, plush crumb and citrusy bright lemon flavour, this blueberry lemon cake is the perfect spring or summer cake!
Each week, I like to prep a batch of muffins or a loaf to keep in my freezer for quick breakfasts and snacks. Year around I always turn to my favourite banana bread muffins but lately with the abundance of fresh blueberries, I’ve been taking full advantage and baking these blueberry oatmeal muffins, chocolate chip blueberry muffins and making lots of this blueberry lemon mug cake.
Me being extra lazy, I wanted to make a loaf cake version so I didn’t have to mix all the ingredients for the mug cake every day. Plus, summer calls for all things blueberry and lemon!
Ingredients for Vegan Lemon Blueberry Loaf
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen! If using frozen, toss them in an extra 1/2 tbsp of potato starch and remove them from the freezer right before folding it in to prevent them from bleeding too much and releasing excess juice.
- Lemons: We’ll need both the juice and zest.
- Non-dairy butter
- Cake flour: All purpose flour may be substituted, but cake flour makes for a plush and soft crumb.
- Corn starch: for coating the blueberries and making the cake extra soft.
- Vanilla & Almond extract: Optional, but it does makes this cake extra tasty!
- Thick non-dairy yogurt: Makes this cake super moist without having to add any oil. You could also use pureed silken tofu.
- Almond flour: Gives the cake a lovely buttery flavour and again, fine almond flour is ideal here.
How to make Vegan Blueberry Lemon Loaf
- Toss blueberries in corn starch to coat.
- Mix the yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Beat butter and sugar, add the yogurt mixture and then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Add to loaf pan and bake!
How to store blueberry lemon cake
- Room Temperature: Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. I do not recommend refrigerating it as dries it out.
- Freezer: Slice and keep in a freezer safe container individually wrapped or with parchment paper between each slice. When ready, cover with a damp paper towel and let it thaw at room temperature or microwave for 30 seconds until warm.
More Blueberry & Lemon Recipes to Try!
- Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake
- Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Butterscotch Blueberry Lemon Flapjacks
If you recreate this Vegan Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!