Healthy Vegan Apple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping! Moist, fluffy and packed with delicious Apple flavour— this loaf screams FALL! It just so happens to also be oil free, refined sugar free and gluten free.
Happy September! Even though technically Fall starts on September 23, the weather here in Toronto is already starting to feel like fall. Cool mornings and nights with quite a few days of rain. A part of me is sad that summer is ending but another part of me is so excited for all the food & produce associated with Fall, especially apples!! I’m not really a Apple eater on their own but I do love them in baked goods like tarts, pies, muffins, cookies and THIS Vegan Apple Bread (that really tastes like a cake). It’s made with wholesome ingredients— plus it’s gluten free, oil free & can be made refined sugar free. Let’s dive right into this recipe shall we?
Ingredients in this Vegan Apple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping
The main ingredients that make up thisVegan Apple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping are:
- gluten free flour
- dairy free milk
- peanut butter
- coconut sugar
- flax egg
- almond meal
How to make Moist & Fluffy Healthy Vegan Apple Bread
STEP 1: After you’ve preheated the oven to 350 F, we’re gonna first make the Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping by combining the sugar, cinnamon, almond meal and oats. I like to use my fingers to kind of pinch the mixture together until crumbly
STEP 2: Into a large bowl add in all the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Then add in the grated apples and mix.
STEP 3: Sift in the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. I like to use a spatula for this step so I can scrape the side of the bowl to make sure everything is well mixed together.
STEP 4: Transfer the batter into a 8×4.5 inch lined loaf pan. Evenly spread the crumb topping on top and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Take it out of the oven and then cover with foil and then bake for another 20-25 minutes or until when you insert a toothpick it comes out clean.
STEP 5: Once out of the oven let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then carefully remove from the loaf pan— allow it to cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.
How to Serve this Vegan Apple Bread
- My favourite way to enjoy this Vegan Apple Bread is to slather some peanut butter, almond butter or tahini over it! Sometimes I’ll even toast it in a toaster oven for a couple minutes and the edges crisp up so perfectly!
- Another breakfast option is to toast it and spread some vegan butter (and s pinch more cinnamon sugar if desired).
- Enjoy it for dessert with a generous topping of coconut whip cream or ice-cream.
How to store Apple bread:
This Apple Bread is best kept in in the fridge covered for 4-5 days. Ensure that the bread is completely cooked before covering or it may get gummy/soggy. Toast them in a toaster oven for about 1 minute and it’s SO GOOD!
You can also freeze the Apple Bread after slicing them not individual pieces. To reheat, just place the Apple Bread a plate with a lightly damp paper towel over it and microwave for 30 seconds or until warm. Eat as is or throw it into the toaster. OR you can also just left them defrost at room temperature if not in a rush.
Trouble shooting Apple Bread:
Why didn’t it rise? Be sure to check your baking soda and baking powder dates. Old baking powder and baking soda doesn’t do their intended job and results in sunken quick breads.
Why didn’t it cook all the way/become gummy? Every oven is different so the times may very. The best way to check for doneness is the toothpick method- stick a toothpick or chopstick in the centre of the bread. If it comes out clean it should be done and if it comes out with residue stuck on the toothpick, bake for a couple more minutes.
Why did my Apple Bread get stuck to the pan? Be sure to light spray or brush with oil. For oil-free be sure to line the entire loaf pan. For the sides, you can run a knife along the edges.
Substitutions for Apple Bread
- Gluten free flour: use all purpose flour is not gluten free- but be sure not to over mix the batter if doing so or the bread may come out tough and dry-Er
- Red delicious apples: I’ve tried this bread with Granny Smith and Honey Crispy Apples and IMO any apple seems to work. If you use softer apples they tend to blend in more whereas crisp apples you can still feel the apple bits
- Flax egg: can be substituted with a chia egg (1 tbsp ground chia seeds + 2 tbsp water)
- Apple cider vinegar: lemon juice or like juice can also work
- Oat flakes: can be substituted with quinoa flakes or more almond meal
- Almond meal: any nut meal can be used here
- Maple sugar: brown sugar or coconut sugar can be used
Alright guys that’s it for today! Many more delicious fall inspired recipes to come, stay tuned!!
More Vegan Quick Breads to try!
- Vegan Banana Bread (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
- 1-Bowl Vegan zucchini bread (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
- Vegan Maple Pumpkin Corn Bread (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
If you recreate this Vegan Apple Cinnamon Bread with Crumb Topping recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!