These Mini Blueberry Galettes look fancy but are so easy to make! Crispy shortbread-like crusts filled with sweet-tart juicy blueberries– the perfect summer time dessert. (Vegan, Gluten Free + Oil Free)
If you haven’t yet stepped into the galette making world, summer is the perfect time to get started! Fresh fruit is in season and they’re super sweet and juicy so you don’t need to add a lot of sugar to make it sweet.
If you’re unfamiliar, galettes are freeform pies and are also very similar to tarts. Think pie crust wrapped over fresh fruits (and sometimes vegetables). I thought galettes would be more difficult to make but actually, they’re so easy and you don’t need a pie/tart pan! Just a simple, single baking sheet.
We’re going mini with these galettes too which makes things even easier. Plus, are these not the cutest little desserts ever? Golden short-bread like crust, bubbly juicy filling, topped with a (mini) ice cream scoop and sprinkled with fancy salt. FUN.
I chose to use blueberries for these mini galettes because they’re my favourite berries– hence all the blueberry recipes I’ve been sharing lately like my blueberry brownies, blueberry chocolate chip muffins and cashew butter blueberry stuffed oatmeal cookies. Buttt, you can totally use any fresh fruit of your choice! Peaches, nectarines, strawberries or even a mix of fruit.
How to Make Mini Blueberry Galettes
I think the crust is the most intimidating part but I promise it’s not– especially with a easy to work with dough that doesn’t require any chilling.
I adapted the crust from my Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal recipe which has a crisp texture and made it more of a shortbread texture by increasing the amount of almond flour.
The filling is made from combining typical pie ingredients: blueberries, corn starch, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. I also added some almond extract which I highly recommend!
- Almond flour: gives it a super buttery flavour and shortbread like texture.
- Oat flour: makes it crispy around the edges. Rice flour also works very well.
- Tapioca starch: for binding and giving it that golden crust.
- Apple sauce/Coconut Cream: for binding and texture. Apple sauce gives it a more snappy texture which I really like but coconut cream will give it that rich short-bread like texture.
- Filling: toss all the ingredients into a bowl and set aside in the fridge.
- Crust: mix the dough ingredients into a bowl until a workable dough forms. It should be moldable but not too sticky. If you find it too sticky, add in more almond flour 1 tbsp at a time. If you find it too dry, add in 1 tsp of water at a time but you shouldn’t need more than 4 tbsp. Roll out the dough and cut out 4 rounds using a 4-5 inch cookie cutter or trace around a bowl.
- Assembly: Place the filling in the middle of the dough round and tightly fold up, overlapping the previous fold as you go. Then bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
Okay, are they not the cutest little desserts?! I used a mini ice cream scooper to top it off but you can go big and add a larger scoop on top (defiantly did that after the photoshoot). These are perfect for BBQs, parties, potlucks and gatherings because they’re already perfectly portioned too!
Tips for Making Mini Galettes
- Use Fresh Berries: In a pinch, you could use frozen but they tend to release a lot of juice when thawed so I recommend thawing them beforehand and blotting them to remove any excess juice.
- Tight Folds: Make sure to secure each fold my gently yet tightly pressing down so that the crust doesn’t unfold while baking.
- Make Ahead: Make each galette , place on a baking sheet (unbaked) and freeze. Then transfer them into a freezer safe container. When ready, remove the galettes from the freezer and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- How to Store: These galettes are best eaten fresh but will keep in the fridge covered for 2-3 days and in the freezer for 1 month. To reheat, remove from freezer and warm it in the oven at 350 F for 10 minutes or until fully re-heated.
More Vegan Blueberry Dessert Recipes to Try!
- Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake (gf/of)
- Blueberry Butterscotch Flapjacks (gf/of)
- Cashew Butter Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies (gf/of)
- Best Ever Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (gf/of)
- Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (gf/of)
- Blueberry Brownies (gf/of)
If you recreate this Mini Blueberry Galettes recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
These Mini Blueberry Galette look fancy but are so easy to make! Crispy shortbread-like crusts filled with sweet-tart juicy blueberries– the perfect summer time dessert. (Vegan, Gluten Free + Oil Free)
- 1 cup blueberries (170g)
- 1 tsp cornstarch (4g)
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar (10g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5g)
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice (8g)
- ½ tsp almond extract, optional (3g)
- Into a bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients until blueberries are well coated. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- Mix the almond flour, oat flour and tapioca starch into a bowl. Then add the apple sauce and 3 water and mix until a dough forms. If it’s too thick, add in the remaining water (and more as needed). If the dough gets too sticky, add in more almond flour 1 tbsp at a time until the dough is easy to work with (if it sticks a bit to your hands that’s okay). Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper about 1/4 cm in thickness. Then cut 3 rounds using a 5 inch cookie cutter. I used a 5 inch cake tin but you could also use a bowl or cup and trace a circle out using a sharp knife. With the left over dough, roll into a ball and then roll it out into a circle between parchment paper. Place the cut out dough onto prepared baking sheets.
- Place about 1/4 cup (about 50g) of the filling into the middle of each round. Then tightly and carefully fold the edges over the filling (leaving the middle exposed), overlapping each fold as you go. Be sure to tightly fold so that they don’t unfold. Brush the pie edges with some coconut milk/cream if desired (this will brown the crust).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Top with ice cream or coconut whip cream and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1 gallette
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.5g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan Blueberry gallette, healthy fruit gallette, gluten free gallette
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!