Healthy morning glory muffins filled with wholesome ingredients like oats, apples, carrots, almond butter, walnuts, raisins and naturally sweetened with maple syrup, These easy vegan carrot apple muffins are wonderfully moist, hearty and great for breakfast and snacking! (Gluten free, oil free & refined sugar free)
My social feeds are flooded with all things pumpkin– not that I’m complaining. I mean, I know I’ve already done my fair share of pumpkin recipes too (hiya spelt pumpkin bread & chocolate chip pumpkin muffins) buttt, allow me to remind you that it’s also peak season for carrots and apples with these morning glory muffins!
What are morning glory muffins? They’re supposedly ‘healthier’ muffins since they typically include nuts/seeds, veggies and fruit but if you ever take a look at store bought muffins they’re loaded with added sugar and butter. IMO it’s totally fine to enjoy a store bought muffin but since I basically eat muffins everyday for breakfast I wanted to make a version that is a) made with some healthier swaps and b) inexpensive (cause muffins are actually quite $$$) .
A couple rounds of testing these, I was finally happy with the texture of these vegan and gluten free morning glory muffins! They’re fluffy yet hearty and just textural perfection thanks to the all the fun add-ins.
How to make healthy morning glory muffins
The Ingredients (& substitutions)
- Apples: Both apple sauce and shredded apples go into these muffins. Here’s a quick 5 minute apple sauce recipe!
- Almond Butter: Adds healthy fats and moisture. You could also use sunflower butter or tahini for nut free.
- Maple Syrup: For naturally sweetened muffins and also keeps them moist.
- Baking powder, baking soda + apple cider vinegar: Helps make them fluffy.
- Rolled Oats (Gluten free): If you don’t have a high speed blender, I recommend using oat flour instead and making this recipe in a bowl because the batter does get quite thick. You can use store bought or make your own by blending the same amount of oats first and then adding it to a bowl. If using pre-made oat flour, use 1/2 cups (180g).
- Walnuts: Or any nuts/seeds of your choice.
- Raisins: Or any dried fruit of your choice.
Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla and orange zest is also added for an extra boost in flavour.
- Add all the ingredients (except fold-ins) to a blender starting with the wet ingredients and then blend until a thick batter forms. Add in 1-2 tbsp of water or non dairy milk if you find the batter to be overly thick (see video for consistency).
- Fold in the carrots, apples, raisins and walnuts.
- Divide the batter between 6 muffin cups. Bake at 425 F for 5 minutes and then at 350 F for 15-18 minutes or until tops of the muffins are springy to the touch.
Like mentioned above, these can also easily be made without a blender just by swapping the rolled oats for oat flour! Mix the wet ingredients together first and then the dry. Fold in the shredded apples, shredded carrots, walnuts and raisins and bake.
Freezing & Storing Tips
These hearty muffins store & freeze beautifully so you could make a double batch for 12 muffins and have them ready throughout the week! Read how to properly store & reheat muffins in this post to keep them as fresh as possible.
More healthy vegan muffins to love:
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Healthy Morning Glory Muffins recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Healthy morning glory muffins that are hearty & delicious thanks to the oats, carrots, apples, raisins & walnuts. Tender, moist & great for breakfast or snacking! (Vegan + Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (120g // + 1–2 tbsp water or non dairy milk as needed)
- 2 tbsp almond butter (32g)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (80g)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10g)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (10g)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats (180g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (3g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 small apple shredded (40g)
- 1/2 small carrot shredded (40g)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (30g // or any nuts of choice)
- 1/4 cup raisins (30g // or any dried fruit of choice)
- Preheat oven to 425 F and line or grease 6 muffin cups.
- Into a blender add in the the apple sauce, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar and blend until smooth. Next add in the oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt and blend until combined. You may need to add in 1-2 tbsp of water or non dairy milk depending on how much moisture your apple sauce has (see video for batter consistency). Fold in shredded apples, carrots, walnuts and raisins.
- Divide batter between the 6 muffin cups and then bake for 5 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F and bake for another 15-18 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 3 minutes and then carefully transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 14.7g
- Sodium: 318mg
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7gg
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39.8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: gluten free vegan morning glory muffins, healthy morning glory muffins, healthy carrot apple muffins
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!