Quick and easy scallion pancakes made with just 4-ingredients and comes together in 15 minutes. You're going to love these cheater Chinese savoury pancakes that taste just like the traditional version and are freezer friendly!
One of my favourite breakfasts to have when visiting my grandparents and relatives were Chinese Scallion Pancakes. My grandma would wake up early just to get started on the pancakes, since they do require quite a bit of time and effort.
I originally wanted to tackle an authentic scallion pancake recipe but just like she said when she shared the method of scissor cutting noodles, 'you youngsters don't have the patience and time, for now try this!' and shared with me this *life changing* short cut scallion pancake hack. Plus, she said it would probably better to show me step by step in person for the authentic recipe so until then, these have been curbing my cravings.
Only 4 Ingredients!
Scallion pancakes are traditionally made starting with a dough, rolling it out, applying su (a mixture of oil and and flour), salt and scallion. The dough is then rolled up again and then rolled out, creating a ton of flaky layers much like croissants. The 'cheats' part of this recipe is the dough– instead of making it from scratch we're using dumpling wrappers!
What you need:
- Dumpling wrappers
- Neutral Oil
How to make it: step by step
Another perk of this recipe is how quick it is to make! While they normally can take up to 1 ½ hours, this version requires just 15 minutes.
I first prep my work station by having everything ready: a bowl of oil, water, salt, finely sliced scallions and dumpling wrappers.
- Take one dumpling wrapper and wet the edge of the left side with your fingers. Layer the edge of another dumpling wrapper where you applied water and gently press down. Repeat with one more to make a chain of 3. (See below how to make bite sized or larger pancakes).
- Brush the oil onto the dumpling wrappers, sprinkle with salt and a generous amount of the scallions.
- Roll up the dumpling wrappers (just like how you would cinnamon rolls). Don't roll them too tightly or when you press down on it the dumpling wrapped may rip open. Pinch the two ends together to seal it so it doesn't unravel.
- Place the roll seam side up and roll it into a spiral.
- Place it flat and wet the loose edge with some water. Gently press it against the main roll to prevent it from unraveling.
- Using the palm of your hands, flatten it to your desired thickness. If you like thinner pancakes, use a rolling pin and carefully roll it out.
- Repeat with as many as you want to make.
- Pan fry them over medium heat on each side until they get golden brown and crispy (about 4 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the other).
Tips & Recipe Notes
- Scallions: Thinly slice the scallions as it helps produce more flavour.
- Dumpling wrappers: Be sure to use the white dumpling wrappers used for dumplings and wontons (the ones without egg).
- Thinner pancakes: If you like super thin pancakes, you can roll out the dumpling wrapper before oiling it.
- Mini pancakes: Instead of using 3, use one and follow the process! It makes these fun one-bite pancakes.
- Larger pancakes: You can also make them bigger by using up to 5-6 and following the same process.
- Make ahead & Freeze: After making each pancake (uncooked), place them on a parchment lined baking tray and freeze. If you need to stack the pancakes, place parchment paper between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking. Once froze, transfer them into a freezer safe bag. Cook as directed below (no need to thaw beforehand).
More Chinese vegan recipes to try:
If you recreate this Cheats Easy Scallion Pancakes recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Cheats Easy Scallion Pancakes (4 Ingredients)
- Total Time: 22 minute
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Quick and easy scallion pancakes made with just 4-ingredients and comes together in 15 minutes. You're going to love these cheater Chinese savoury pancakes that taste just like the traditional version!
- 12 dumpling / wonton wrappers
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- grape seed oil (or any neutral oil such as vegetable oil or canola oil)
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (15ml)
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar or rice vinegar (15ml)
- ½ scallion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp maple syrup or sugar of choice
- water to thin, optional
- Prepare work station: Remove dumpling wrappers from the package and cover with a damp kitchen cloth to prevent them from drying out. Rinse, dry and thinly slice the scallions. Prepare a small bowl of water, oil with a pastry brush and small dish of salt.
- Make the pancakes: Take one dumpling wrapper and wet the edge of the left side with your fingers. Layer on another dumpling wrapper, gently press down and repeat once more. This will seal the wrappers and prevent them from falling apart. Brush some oil onto the dumpling wrappers, sprinkle with salt and sprinkle on the scallions.
- Roll the pancakes: Roll the wrapper from the bottom up (much like a cinnamon roll). Do not roll too tightly or it will be more difficult to flatten later. Pinch the two ends together to prevent scallions from falling out. It should now look like a mini cinnamon roll. Place it seam side up and roll into a spiral. Wet the end with some water (if its dry) and gently press it in to prevent it from unrolling.
- Flatten: Use the palm of your hands and flatten the pancake. If you want a thinner pancake, roll it out with a rolling pin. Do not roll out too much or the scallions may come out.
- To make mini bite sized scallion pancakes: Instead of layering 3 dumpling wrappers, follow the same process but using only one dumpling wrapper.
- Cook: Over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoon of oil to a non-stick pan. Add the scallion pancakes and cook each side until golden brown and crisp (about 3 minutes for the first side and 2 minutes on the other side).
- Add all the dipping sauce ingredients into a bowl. Serve with the pancakes and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment: wooden rolling pin, pastry brush
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, chinese
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 237mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: easy scallion pancakes, chinese scallion pancakes, green onion pancakes, dumpling wrapper recipes
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!
I saw this on tik tok & rushed to try it in less than 24hours. Such a good hack. They came out crunchy & flaky and still can’t believe how quick and easy it will be now to whip up scallion pancakes.
So pro looking, what a neat cheat sheet recipe. It works! Love this.
lise l says
These were so good! So quick and easy and surprisingly flaky! Would 100% recommend.
I love how easy it was to make this scallion pancakes! I had dumplings wrapper lying around in my fridge and I saw her recipe from Tik Tok. I made it and it taste so good! Totally recommend it for you to try !
Lisa Kitahara says
So happy to hear these were a hit for you Laurentia!! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Lena Tran says
I recently saw this recipe on Tiktok and knew I had to try it! Super quick and simple. I decided to airfry it for the same crunchiness, but with less oil usage, and it came out great!
Connie Yan says
So easy and simple thank you!! I used to dread making the dough!
I love scallion pancakes but have been too nervous to make them from scratch. This recipe changed that for me! So easy and so delicious!
So easy to make! The wonton wrappers takes no time to get really golden brown and crispy. I added Chinese five spice to the oil to add a little extra flavour. So delicious! 😋
I made these with lumpia wrappers and they were still so delicious!! I couldn’t get my ends to stick so they looked more like shrimp but that doesn’t matter because they were amazing. My mom asked if she could take the last one!
Happy Tomodachi says
When you crave something that would usually take some time to make, this is one of those brilliant recipes that make it accessible for you to whip up and satisfy your craving! This "cheater" 4 ingredient chive pancakes recipe is a game changer! SO BRILLIANT and so easy to make...and YUMMY!!! And I suggest making it with the sauce that is equally as easy to whip up! So delicious! Thank you!!!
This was super easy, minimal ingredients, minimal steps! Perfect for a quick pre-dinner snack, will make again!
Cecile Kiddo says
Since you posted the recipe on your IG, I already made it 4 times! That’s how easy and tasty those scallion pancakes are!!
This is such a genius hack - saved me the trouble of making them from scratch but they still taste homemade! I totally recommend trying this.
Blue Green says
fast and delicious
Harrison Schmitt says
These are so delicious, and still SO easy to make. Couldn’t believe it the first time I tried them, and it still blows me away after the 10th time!!
I love it that you simplify this recipe into something so so good! I have made two variations from your store bought wrappers idea and they are absolutely finger licking good!
1) Same Scallion pancakes from Lisa and I added sesame seeds to the base which makes them extra yummy!
2) Did a sweet version and used sweetened red bean paste filling plus sesame bottom. You guys need to try this!
Ingrid C Ortiz says
The recipe is very easy to follow. The turned out very nice and flavorful. I will definitively be making these as often as I can come by the ingredients.
I was sooo excited when I saw this, such a great hack!! I've already made them twice - so satisfying and easy to make lots to share!
Anu Gerelt says
Such a great & easy way of making these!! I love scallion pancakes, but making the dough is time-consuming. So glad I found this recipe 🤍
so easy to make and done in 5 minutes! love this no fuss recipe
I was doing gyoza and I had dumplig left and din't know what to do with it.
So thought of this recipe I saw on instagram.
I didn't have scallions but leek and it was soo easy to make and delicious. I'm definitely going to make it again.
Thank you Lisa😉
This recipe changed my life! The best food hack I’ve found. So easy, no dough proofing at all. I use it as an excuse to make scallion pancakes whenever I can THANK YOU
So easy so good!! Debatably come out crispier than when using homemade dough?? I’m family loves them and they make life so easy! All I have to say is thank you for this genius!
Carrie BK says
So easy, and delicious! I've wanted to try to make scallion pancakes before, but never got around to trying it. As soon as I saw this recipe, I made them right away! I will be making these often.
So quick & so easy! Highly addictive, I have made them for the past three evenings 😋
I added garlic to the oil which was a delish addition.
All of these recipes look so yummy but the scallion pancakes were my fave they’re so easy and súper yummy! It’s different from what I would eat on a regular day to day basis as a vegetarian😋😋
Phillip Bambi says
Genius recipe!! So delicious! This will be a regular feature in my house 😍
Phillip Bambi says
What a brilliant idea! And so easy to make! Absolutely genius! This is definitely staying in my repertoire!
Camille Garcia says
I was in the middle of cleaning out my fridge from leftover veggies and of course I had a couple of eggroll wrappers left + scallions. I immediately thought of this recipe and BOOM! It was a meditative and magical experience. I am a sucker for scallion pancakes (grew up in Koreatown) and the fact that I was able to do this in less than 30 minutes blew my mind. Thank you for your creative recipes and hacks Lisa <3
Lily Hammer says
I had grown a thousand scallions this summer and needed an easy recipe to crank out pancakes and this one was perfect. I had struggled with making the dough myself, and this was a perfect "cheat". I can't wait to try other recipes!
I made these with the Nasoya vegan egg roll wrappers - since they’re larger, I only used two instead of your suggested three. Absolutely fantastic. Mine were a little thicker since I didn’t want to tear the dough to make them flatter, but still very good. I will definitely make a bunch of these to freeze.
This was the first recipe i tried from the blog and I can’t recommend it enough! So good esp when you’re busy with work, studying etc! Love it😍
Perfect recipe for your left over dumpling skins you don't want to freeze and scallions you don't want to waste. So quick, so easy, so delicious.
The perfect recipe for my leftover dumpling wrappers when I don’t have enough ingredients in the fridge to make anything else! Love how easy they were to make.
Tammy Nguyen says
ive made this many times! so easy. added more wrappers for a larger portion.