Learn how to make homemade Cauliflower Gnocchi with this easy 3-ingredient recipe! Healthy, vegan, gluten free & paleo friendly!
Friends! IT’S HERE. Cauliflower Gnocchi.
I’ve been having serious FOMO ever since I heard about Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi. It’s been everywhere on my insta feed, youtube and facebook. This trendy food hasn’t made it to Canada (yet), so I knew I HAD to recreate it.
I’ve actually never tried gnocchi until a month ago at a restaurant and I was like holy wow… this stuff is GOOD! Chewy and soft in a really delightful way. I had it served with simple tomato sauce and I think lightly panfried cause it was slightly crispy on the outside.
Before going into this recipe, I actually saw someone making gnocchi on Canada’s Food Network! I took notes on my phone and when testing this recipe, I was really surprised at how easy it is to make gnocchi at home.
Okay, I really can’t contain my excitement… lets make some Cauliflower Gnocchi!
Ingredients in Cauliflower Gnocchi
I checked out the ingredients on Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi and here’s what it’s made of: cauliflower, cassava flour, potato starch, olive oil & sea salt. DAMN those are pretty darn good (and pretty accessible) ingredients. I tried it with the olive oil and without and honestly, there was very little difference so I omitted it all together. All you need to make this Cauliflower Gnocchi is 3 ingredients (!!):
- Cauliflower: around a medium head, I highly recommend weighing it when measuring it out for best results cause every cauliflower is different in size.
- Cassava flour: used instead of flour (for paleo + gluten free) and also helps bind the cauliflower together. You can find cassava flour on amazon, or at whole foods, healthy food stores and larger super markets. I also tried this with oat flour, regular all purpose flour and a gluten-free flour blend and they all will work but do keep in mind the texture slightly varies.
- Potato Starch: used to bind the cauliflower puree together.
and a pinch of salt if you want, but I usually dip or pour some sauce over it so it doesn’t really affect the taste.
How to Make Cauliflower Gnocchi
Making Cauliflower Gnocchi as home is surprisingly really easy! Let me give you the run down:
- Cook the cauliflower
- Strain the cauliflower
- Blend the cauliflower in a food processor
- Combine the flours and cauliflower
- Cut into long pieces
- Roll the dough
- Cut into square shaped pieces (and optionally, use a fork/gnocchi board to make ridges)
- Then cook ’em up!
How to Prepare Cauliflower Gnocchi
There are so many ways to prepare and enjoy cauliflower gnocchi! You can either boil it, pan fry it, bake it or my FAV way, air fry it! Air frying it makes them super soft on the inside and chewy (in a good way) and crispy on the outside.
How to Serve Cauliflower Gnocchi
Again, there are so many ways to serve cauliflower gnocchi! Top and mix it with your favourite pasta sauces, dip it in your favourite dip or season it with your favourite herbs/seasonings. I love dipping it in my favourite cheese sauce or ketchup *yum x 100*.
Can you Freeze Cauliflower Gnocchi?
YES. Gnocchi is super freezer friendly. All you need to do is place the cut up gnocchi on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and then freeze. Then transfer them into a freezer safe bag or container. No need to defrost them before cooking, just use them straight out of the freezer when ready!
What does Cauliflower Gnocchi Taste Like?
Cauliflower gnocchi has a mild cauliflower taste and I think thats a given since it’s made from mainly cauliflower. However, it’s not strong or weird in any way. Especially because you’ll most likely be eating it with a dip or sauce to cover up the cauliflower taste.
The texture is slightly more chewy and sticky than store bought gnocchi made from potatoes, kind of like mochi which I actually really enjoy.
If you don’t like cauliflower or you find it too chewy straight out of a boil, I highly recommend you baking, pan frying or air frying the gnocchi. It adds crispiness and flavour as it becomes golden brown.
Helpful Equipment to Make Homemade Gnocchi
- Steamer Basket: to steam the cauliflower.
- Food Processor: to blend the cauliflower and flour together.
- Pastry Cutter: to cut the gnocchi.
- Gnocchi Board: optional but to make those gnocchi ridges (I used a fork and it works fine).
- Air Fryer: cause it’s my FAV way to prepare them, you gotta try it!
I really encourage you guys to try this recipe and make cauliflower gnocchi in your own kitchen! This *might* become your new go-to gnocchi to use in pastas, soups and more!
If you recreate this Cauliflower Gnocchi Recipe recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!