These Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, fluffy and made in 1 bowl. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup and made with a blend of almond flour and oat flour to keep them gluten free. Perfect for breakfast, snacking and are freezer friendly too! (Oil Free + Refined Sugar Free)
Welcome blueberry chocolate chip muffins, to the Okonomi Kitchen muffin family! I'm kinda obsessed with muffins and cupcakes ATM, I just can't stop! They're so fun and easy to make and they're always there for me when I need a quick breakfast or snack.
Today, I'm muffin-i-fying a combo I adore: blueberries + chocolate. I think this combo is waaaay too underrated and never gets enough love compared to it's chocolate strawberry sister. Time to show some love to this delicious duo! Let's get bakin', shall we?
How to Make Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
I think its a summer thing but I get even more lazier with washing dishes so these healthy blueberry chocolate chip muffins are a 1-bowl + whisk kinda deal made with wholesome ingredients!
- Coconut Yogurt OR Silken Tofu Puree: These two are my absolute favourite egg + oil replacers. I find they yield a softer and more moist muffin vs. flax eggs and apple sauce (tends to be gummy). When I have both on hand, I'll do half coconut yogurt and half tofu for the best of both worlds.
- Maple Syrup: Provides sweetness and moisture.
- Lemon Juice: Just a small amount not only helps react with the baking soda but also leaves a subtle flavour that is lovely with the chocolate and blueberries.
- Oat Flour + Almond Flour + Potato Starch: The flour team for this recipe for the perfect muffin texture. And yes, you can also use corn starch or tapioca starch in this recipe with similar results.
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen! If using frozen, coat them well with the oat flour and add take them right out of the freezer so they don't bleed too much juice.
- Chocolate Chips: Mini, jumbo, regular or chunk-- your call!
In addition, you will also need baking staples like vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients: coconut yogurt/tofu (make sure it's pureed first), maple syrup, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the dry ingredients: oat flour, almond flour, potato starch and salt. Sift in the baking powder and baking soda for even distribution. Then fold in the blueberries and chocolate chips. The batter should be thick but not stiff.
- Divide between 10 muffin cups and then bake them at 425 F for 5 minutes. Reduce the baking temperature to 350 F and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let them cool in the pan for no more than 3 minutes to prevent soggy wet muffins and then transfer them to a wire rack to fully cool.
How to Properly Store Muffins
- To Store: Once muffins are completely cooled, then store in a paper towel lined air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- To Freeze: Place the muffins in a air tight freezer safe bag or container and then freeze for up to 2 months. When ready, take them out and wrap them with a damp paper towel. Let them thaw at room temperature or microwave for 20 seconds. The damp paper towel prevents the muffins from drying out.
Chocolate-y blueberry bursting wholesome ingredient packed muffin + a cup of iced coffee in the morning. This is my ideal summer morning.
More Vegan Muffins to Love!
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Green Smoothie Muffins
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- Healthy Blueberry Oat Flour Muffins
- Flourless Banana Blender Muffins
- Vegan Banana Protein Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!