This Vegan Tofu Ricotta is thick, creamy and rich. Just 7-ingredients needed to make this versatile vegan cheese. This recipe is also gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
Ever since posting my Vegan Cream Cheese recipe, I’ve had lots of requests to make a cashew and nut free vegan ricotta recipe and I’m so excited to say it’s finally here! Using cashews for vegan cheese is really popular and delicious but I find it to be a little heavy and quite expensive. I wanted to make some vegan stuffed shells and didn’t want it to be overly heavy like how some nut based vegan cheeses are. So of course, I turned to my favourite ingredient: tofu! Tofu is great for vegan cheeses because it has that creamy, rich and thick texture. I also added a special ingredient to make this ricotta even more smooth and creamy, peep it down below to find out what it is!
Ingredients to Make Vegan Tofu Ricotta
This Vegan Tofu Ricotta is just 7-ingredients and doesn’t require anything crazy. Just simple, wholesome ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen!
- Extra Firm Tofu: The base of this vegan ricotta is tofu which gives it that thick creamy texture. Can also use firm.
- White Beans: The secret ingredient to make this ricotta extra rich and soft without using cashews!
- Nutritional yeast: For cheesiness.
- Lemon Juice: A little tang.
- Miso paste: Miso paste in plant based cheeses just make it sooo much better because it cuts the tofu flavour.
- Tahini: Bring back some moisture.
- Garlic: For flavour. I love using roasted garlic here but raw works well in a pinch too.
How to Make Vegan Tofu Ricotta
You’ll be surprised at how quick and easy it is to make Vegan Tofu Ricotta! All you need to do is press the extra firm tofu for a few minutes. I simply do this with a tofu press for 10-15 minutes, no need to squeeze out every gram of moisture, just enough to get the excess out. And then add all the ingredients into the food processor and blend!
How To Store Vegan Tofu Ricotta
This Tofu Ricotta is best stored in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up 1 month but be sure to drain any excess liquid that may come out before using.
How to Serve and Use Vegan Tofu Ricotta
There are so many delicious ways to use this Vegan Tofu Ricotta! You can really use it in any recipe that usually calls for ricotta like vegan lasagna, pesto ricotta stuffed shells, ravioli and a variety of dips. It can also be enjoyed on toast, waffles and pancakes. I love the combination of waffles, ricotta and berries– so good! Or you can also just simply dip it with some good ol’ plain crackers 🙂
Helpful Tools for This Recipe
- Tofu Press: To get the excess moisture out of the tofu.
- Food Processor: To blend the tofu ricotta nice and smooth.
- Spatula: To scrape down the sides and get alllll the vegan ricotta out.
I hope you try this Vegan Ricotta Cheese recipe and love it as much as I do! It’s so versatile and delicious- and the perfect vegan ricotta cheese substitute for any recipe that calls for ricotta.
More Vegan Cheese Recipes to Try!
- Best Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe
- Nut Free Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Vegan Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese
- Best Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe
If you recreate this Vegan Tofu Ricotta Cheese recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!