Healthy Vegan and Gluten Free Banana Muffins that are super light, fluffy and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. Easy to make in 1-bowl, these freezer-friendly muffins are perfect for breakfasts or snacks!
Vegan Gluten Free Banana Muffins
Friends, meet the worlds most fluffiest Gluten Free Banana Muffins. Look at that incredible texture-- it's almost cake like because of how light and moist it is.
While I love my blender banana muffins and protein banana muffins, they're made exclusively with oat flour which tends to make things just slightly more dense (which I do like). But, I wanted to develop a banana muffin recipe that was more bakery style and treat-like.
Look at the texture- I still can't believe how delicious they came out. I always bake a batch of muffins to freeze each week and I've just been going back to this recipe.
How to Make Fluffy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
After a dozen batches of banana muffins, I was finally able to come up with a blend of gluten free flours that baked up light and fluffy, with no detection of gumminess. Meet the team:
- Oat Flour: Gives structure and body to the muffins. Oat flour has the ability to absorb liquid keeping them perfectly moist.
- Rice Flour: To balance the heavier oat flour, rice flour helps lighten it up and makes them fluffy.
- Tapioca Starch: Acts as a binder while keeping the texture of the muffins tender.
In addition you'll also need to following:
- Banana: Use super spotty and ripe, please!
- Lite Canned Coconut Milk: Makes these muffins extra rich but you can also use any non-dairy milk of your choice.
- Tahini: Tahini is the most runny out of all nut/seed butters so if using another kind, be sure it's runny. You may also need to add in an extra tablespoon of coconut milk depending on how thick the nut butter is.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, baking soda + baking powder: Lifts the muffins and makes them fluffy.
- Maple Syrup: Naturally sweetened and gives a delicious maple flavour.
I always make muffins, quick breads and even cupcakes in 1-bowl. Less dishes to clean and it's really easy to do!
- Mash the bananas until pureed. I'll sometimes leave some chunks if I'm feeling for a more texture heavy muffin.
- Add all the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients. I always make sure to sift in the baking powder and baking soda so that there are no clumps of it, which can lead to un-even baking and bitter bites. Whisk everything together until just combined.
- Pour into muffin cups and then bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Reduce the temperature and bake for another 22-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool in the pan for no more than 3 minutes. I always take the muffins right out of the tin as soon as I can handle them to prevent soggy overly moist muffins. Let them cool completely before eating!
How to Tell When Muffins are Done Baking
Under baked muffins are the culprit of soggy gummy gluten free muffins. On the flip side, over baked muffins get crumbly and dry.
My go-to method of testing doneness of muffins (and cupcakes!) is to press down on the top. If it springs back up, they're ready. If they stay sunken, continue to bake.
Another way is the famous toothpick method. Insert a toothpick in the middle of one of the muffins. If it comes out clean, they're ready. If they have wet batter on it, continue to bake. A few moist cooked crumbs are a good sign they're baked.
How to Customize Muffins
These are plain ol' banana muffins-- simple with a clean banana flavour. But you can always add things like walnuts, chocolate chips, raisins, blueberries, cinnamon, almond extract, dried fruit and all sorts of goodies! Just fold them in after mixing in the dry ingredients. I would highly recommend the combo of walnuts, dried cranberries and chocolate chips... it's such a good combo.
More Vegan Gluten Free Banana Recipes to Try!
- Tahini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Flourless Banana Blender Muffins
- Vegan Banana Protein Muffins
- Breakfast Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Banana Bread Mug Cake
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Bars
- Banana Bread Donuts
- Banana Snack Sheet Cake
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Fluffy Gluten Free Banana Muffins recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!