Quick and easy Somen Noodles with Scallion Sauce. This simple noodle dish is mega flavourful but comes together in just 10 minutes making it perfect for busy weeknights! (Vegan & Gluten free option).
With the seasons changing, the weather has been all over the place from warm and humid to cool and chilly. These noodles are perfect for the transitional season period because they can be served either hot or cold! Plus, they take just 10 minutes to make but still so flavourful and satisfying.
I came up with this recipe using what I had in my kitchen so they’re all basic pantry staples!
- Japanese leek or scallions: I prefer to use Japanese leeks when I can but if unavailable, scallions or green onions work just as well.
- Ginger: Flavour pairs deliciously with the scallions.
- Kombu mentsuyu: Store bought or homemade vegan tsuyu
- Vegetarian oyster sauce: Can be omitted if you don’t have any on hand but please note the flavour will be different!
- Rice vinegar: For a bit of tang
- Sesame oil: For flavour
- Sesame seeds: use roasted sesame seeds for texture and flavour
- Yuba: I used to have this with shredded chicken but found that dried yuba to be the perfect replacement. I used dried yuba but you can also use fresh or frozen! Depending on the type and brand, you may need to soak prior to cooking with the somen noodles.
- Somen Noodles: or any noodles of choice.
How to Make Scallion Noodles
Did I mention how easy this noodle recipe is to make? Here’s a run down in 3 easy steps:
- Finely chop the scallions and then mix the remaining sauce ingredients together. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Cook noodles of choice with the yuba (to save time!), drain and rinse VERY well. Especially if using somen noodles, be sure to rinse with cold water and gently rub between your palms to remove excess starch for the best texture.
- Toss the sauce, noodles and yuba together. Garnish with some reserved scallions (the green part!), chili and chili oil for a spicy kick… and enjoy!
More quick and easy noodles to try
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Scallion Sauce Noodles recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!