Easy Korean BBQ Tempeh Rice Bowls ready in under 30 minutes! Tempeh adds plenty of plant based protein and is served with lots of veggies — this speedy meal is the perfect healthy weeknight dinner!
My sister came the other day with some bulgogi take out, which is basically marinated slices of beef grilled on a barbecue. The smell instantly caught my attention and a hard craving just hit. Although I wasn't much of a meat eater as a kid, I did love the flavour and smell of Korean BBQ.
And despite my love for being in the kitchen, recipe testing and all the BTS behind my recipes, I'm a lazy cook. As in, 99% of the time I'm either having left overs (that require just re-heating) or throwing whatever left in the fridge into one pan and calling it a day.
So whats a lazy vegan girl craving Korean BBQ to do??
ENTER: Korean BBQ Tempeh 'Beef' Bowls. A play on my East Asian Tofu Beef Bowls and a twist on the traditional Korean dish that is faster, easier, cheaper and fully plant based (but still high in protein). The tempeh soaks up the marinade perfectly and just enough to flavour the rice as well.
How to Make Korean BBQ Tempeh 'Beef'
The take out version I remember having was very simple with just stir fried beef, rice and sometimes a side of cucumbers. Since I wanted to boost up the nutrition for this meal, I added some veggies. You could really use any veggies of your choice but here are some suggestions that pair really well with the BBQ marinade:
- bell peppers
- mung bean sprouts
For the Korean BBQ tempeh, you'll need:
- a block of tempeh (you could also use tofu as well)
- 1 batch of this Korean BBQ marinade (or store bought is fine too)
- sesame seeds
I also included a quick Sriracha mayo recipe in the recipe card that I'll drizzle on top.
A note about the Korean BBQ Marinade: the ingredients used for this sauce are easily found in any grocery store. If you enjoy asian food, you'll definitely use them for other recipes so they're great to have in your kitchen.
What I love about this recipe is how quick & easy it is to make! It takes under 30 minutes to put together and because we're using tempeh, you don't have to worry about undercooking the 'beef'.
- Veggies: Cook the onions, bell peppers and spinach with some of the BBQ marinade.
- Tempeh: Crumble it with your hands and then cook on the same pan as the veggies with the marinade. Use a wooden spatula to stir fry it around to it doesn't burn (but also not too much because we do want some browning). Check out my Guide on Cooking Tempeh if you need some additional guidance.
- Assemble: Add some rice to bowls and top with the tempeh beef. Garnish with sesame seeds, scallions and optional Sriracha mayo.
Looking for more delicious tempeh recipes? Here are some more to try!
- Marinated Hoisin Peanut Tempeh
- Tandoori Tempeh Bowls
- Sesame Tempeh Rice Casserole
- Peanut Noodle Salad with Satay Tempeh
- Vegan Tuna Tempeh Casserole
- Tempeh Gyro Bowls
If you recreate this Korean BBQ Tempeh "Beef" Bowls recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Korean BBQ Tempeh Rice Bowls
Quick & easy Korean BBQ Tempeh Rice Bowls packed with protein, veggies and full of flavour! The perfect healthy lunch or dinner for weekdays.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, korean
BBQ Tempeh Bowls
- 8 oz package of tempeh (224g)
- 1 batch of Korean BBQ marinade sauce
- 1 medium onion, sliced (110g)
- 2 cups spinach (60g)
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced (140-160g)
- 2 cups cooked rice (400g)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Remove tempeh from package and crumble it into a bowl with your hands and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoon of water of 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté onions for 3 minutes until semi translucent. Add in the bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes. Add in 2 tablespoon of the marinade and continue to cook until peppers start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add in the spinach and cook for 30 seconds, just until spinach begins to wilt. Remove from heat and transfer veggies to a bowl.
- Place pan back on the heat, add 2 tablespoon of water or oil and add in the crumbled tempeh. Pour ⅔ of the marinate over the tempeh and cook for 3-5 minutes, until tempeh soaks up all the marinade. Use a wooden spatula to move the tempeh back and forth on the pan so it doesn't burn. Taste and add more marinade as needed. Remove from heat.
- To make the optional Sriracha mayo, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Between 2 bowls, add the rice, veggies and tempeh. Garnish with sesame seeds, scallions and Sriracha mayo. Enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 612
- Sugar: 20.6g
- Sodium: 1555mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 83g
- Fiber: 10.8g
- Protein: 33.3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: korean beef bowls, korean bbq tempeh, tempeh recipes
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!