Homemade Japanese Sesame Dressing that is creamy, nutty and slightly tangy and sweet– delicious over salads, cooked vegetables, tofu and more! Quick and easy to make, this sesame dressing recipe is dairy free, egg free and can be made ahead of time. (Vegan)
More delicious vegan salads to love!
- Spinach Gomae (Japanese spinach salad)
- Sunomono (Japanese seaweed cucumber salad)
- Tataki Kyuri (Japanese smashed cucumber salad)
- Spicy Tofu Skin Salad
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Japanese Sesame Dressing recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Japanese Sesame Dressing
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: ½ cup 1x
Creamy and full of flavour, this Japanese sesame dressing is delicious over salads, vegetables, tofu, noodles and more!
- 1 ½ tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp roasted sesame butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan Japanese mayo (or substitute regular vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 ½ - 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1-2 teaspoon unsweetened soy milk to thin (optional)
- Add toasted sesame seeds to a motor and pestle and grind until grounded.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the soy milk to a bowl and whisk to combine. Add soy milk little by little until you reach your desired consistency.
- Use over fresh salad, tofu, noodles or as a dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment: suribachi (Japanese motor and pestle), whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 5 minute
- Category: sauces & dressings
- Method: mixing
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Keywords: sesame dressing
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!
JoAnn Buel says
Sorry i looked and now the amount is in there
Good timing 😀 i meant it doesn’t say how much sesame butter
Lisa Kitahara says
I’m not one for following recipes but this was so quick and simple, the smell of the sesame seeds after crushing them in a mortar and pestle was divine and honestly I would have never thought of that if it wasn’t for this recipe. I used the dressing on a shredded tofu salad, it would go great with literally anything (I was eating it out of the jar!) thanks for your cooking wisdom, can’t wait to try more recipes ❤️
This dressing recipe is unreal delicious! I makes me think I’m actually eating at a restaurant 💜 I didn’t have sesame butter so I had to settle for tahini. The smell that comes from grinding the toasted sesame is delightful! I drizzled it on top of a crispy tofu bowl, the entire thing, steamed veg & quinoa, crispy tofu and salad 🙂
Absolutely become my bucket list dressing if I want to make asian salad! Try this and you never buy a store-bought sesame dressing anymore! Surprisingly it taste better!!
This sauce is one of the beat things that happened to me this year.
And the salad combo with tofu skins, just amazing!
How long does the dressing last in the fridge?
Lisa Kitahara says
up to 4 days!
I would LOVE to try this! What brand or where can I find sesame butter? I can only find tahini...
Lisa Kitahara says
Asian grocery store!
This is really tasty and though it probably would have lasted longer than a week in the fridge, it didn’t because it was gone too quickly! 🙂
Christina Prunesti says
This is, by far, the best sesame dressing recipe I've had. Perfect for salads. I didn't have the sesame butter, and subbed for equal parts peanut butter and some sesame oil. It was still amazing.
Looks so good! If I don’t have roasted sesame butter what can I substitute it with?
This was super tasty! Had it on a roasted veggie grain bowl with a vegan sausage and it was the perfect addition 😊