An amazing quick and easy Vegan Japanese Curry Fried Rice made in one pan in just 15 minutes. With curry flavoured rice, seasoned soy mince, vegetables and raisins, this fried rice recipe is one that’s worthy of keeping in your back pocket.
I’m sure many of you have tried some kind of curry flavoured rice but today I wanted to share another version using Japanese curry! This is the version I grew up eating and love.
If you’ve never tried Japanese curry before, it uses less spice, it’s slightly sweeter and the umami profile is more mild.
This is the perfect emergency, any time, any day meal because of how easy and speedy it is to make.
Here’s what you need for this Japanese Curry Fried Rice, just 7-ingredients:
- Soy Mince: typically ground beef is used but to keep it meatless and vegan friendly, we’re using soy mince which provides protein and a “meaty” texture.
- Onions: essential in any fried rice.
- Soy Sauce: flavours the soy mince.
- Mixed Vegetables: it’s fast, easy and you don’t have to chop anything!
- Raisins: adds a touch of sweetness (don’t skip this!)
- Day-Old Rice: freshly cooked rice isn’t ideal for this recipe because it gets soggy and mushy.
- Japanese Curry Sauce Mix Cube: Golden Curry and Torokeru is the brand I grew up eating but I only use Golden Curry now because it’s the only vegan one I’ve found. If you can’t find vegan curry roux blocks, you can use 1 tbsp Japanese Curry Powder + 2 tbsp oil.
How to Make Japanese Curry Fried Rice
What’s nice about fried rice is how easy and quick is it so make. The technique is pretty similar to my Kimchi Fried Rice. From start to finish it takes me about 15 minutes to plate up!
- Cook the soy mince, onions, soy sauce, salt and pepper. It’s important to flavour the soy mince first so it soaks up some flavour.
- Add the frozen vegetables and raisins.
- Add in the rice and cut through the rice using a wooden paddle. Be sure not to over-mix or mash the rice.
- Add the chopped curry block mix over top of the rice and let it melt through while mixing until everything is well coated.
Tips to Making the Best Curry Fried Rice
- Use Day-Old Rice: Alternatively you can use slightly undercooked rice. This prevents mushy & soggy fried rice and your wok burning at the bottom.
- “Cut” Through the Rice + Mixing Technique: Instead of stirring/mixing use the side of the paddle to break up the rice. Then scoop the sides while tilting the wok/pan to bring the rice to the middle.
- How to Make it Gluten Free: Use tamari instead of soy sauce and 1 tbsp Japanese Curry Powder + 2 tbsp oil instead of the curry roux mix because it does contain flour.
How to Store Curried Fried Rice
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days in an air tight container. Reheat in the microwave covered for 1 minute or until heated through.
Helpful Equipment to Make this Recipe
Flavoured rice. Seasoned soy mince. And includes veggies. How handy is that?! I hope you give this Vegan Japanese Curry fried rice a try and love it as much as I do!
More Quick & Easy Vegan Recipes to Try
If you recreate this Japanese Curry Fried Rice recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!