Garlic chili oil noodles tossed in a mega flavourful spicy sauce made with lao gan ma chili crisp oil. This lao gan ma noodle recipe is ultra easy to make and is ready in under 10 minutes– perfect for busy weeknights!
Two things I've been obsessed this month: noodles and chili oils.
Specifically, Lao Gan Ma chili crisp oil. Basically it's chili oil with bits of crispy goodness in it. I went into detail as to what this condiment is and why you'll find it in every asian household in my spicy chili crisp sesame noodles recipe. The additional crunchy texture Lao Gan Ma chili oil gives takes any sauce to the next level, and this delicious garlicky spicy sauce is proof of just that.
The inspiration for this garlicky chili oil noodles came from a Chinese noodle dish called You Po Mian (hot oil noodles), which is made by pouring hot oil over seasonings and aromatics. While this dish and it's method is actually super simple to begin with, I love that this version doesn't require any oil to be heated up and you don't have to worry about setting off the fire alarm.
Ingredients for garlic chili oil noodles
I call this chili garlic sauce the 'bomb two' because 1. it's the the bomb dot com and it requires just two of everything so it's super easy to remember!
- Light soy sauce: or tamari for gluten free
- Dark soy sauce: can be substituted for more light soy sauce or tamari
- Lao Gan Ma (chili crisp oil)
- Chinese black vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Sesame Seeds
Types of noodles
Unlike hot oil noodles that are best made with wheat noodles (because of how hot the oil gets), you can use any variety of noodles for this dish! I used homemade scissor cut noodles, but you could also use rice noodles, 'ramen' spaghetti (similar to chukamen noodles) and wheat noodles or all shapes and sizes.
How to make chili garlic oil noodles
These chili oil noodles come together in under 10 minutes which is why it's considered my weeknight staple meal.
- Start by cooking your noodles following the manufacturers directions
- In the meantime, stir the sauce ingredients together
- One noodles are done cooking, drain and toss in the sauce
Tip: to make it even quicker, make a triple batch of the sauce and store in the refrigerator. Then all you have to do is quickly cook some noodles up, drizzle the sauce and serve!
These noodles are delicious hot, room temperature and even cold! I especially love serving this with some fresh veggies like cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes to balance out the spice but you could really serve it with whatever veggies and proteins you like to make it a complete meal.
More quick weeknight noodles to love!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Garlic Lao Gan Ma Noodles recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Garlic Lao Gan Ma Noodles (10-Minutes)
Weeknight garlic chili oil noodles ready in under 10 minutes! These lao gan ma noodles are spicy, big on flavour and so satisfying. Serve with vegetables and tofu for a complete meal!
- Prep Time: 4 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, chinese
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce (30ml //or tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp Lao Gan Ma Chili Crisp Oil (30ml)
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce (10 ml // or tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tsp Chinese black vinegar (10ml)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (10ml)
- 2 tbsp white part of the scallions, sliced (save green parts for garnish)
- 2 large garlic cloves, micro grated (8g)
- 2 tsp ginger, optional (12g)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (10g)
- 2 servings of noodles (160g)
- 2 springs of cilantro, optional
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl except the cilantro and green parts of the scallions. Stir and then toss with your favourite noodles. Garnish with cilantro and green part of scallions, and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 1760mg
- Fat: 29gg
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 62.8g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: chili garlic oil noodles, lao gan ma noodles, chili oil noodles, 10 minute noodles
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!