This Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake is fudgy and decadent with a boozy kick to it. Incredibly quick and easy to prepare, it’s the perfect vegan chocolate cake for any occasion.
It’s Christmas Eve!!
So.. I’m dropping one last, last minute holiday dessert recipe because who doesn’t love chocolate cake? Better yet… who doesn’t love a rich, decadent and spiked chocolate cake thats easy and quick to make?
It’s a “dump and blend” kinda chocolate cake so ANYONE can make this. It’s full proof, no fail and the result will blow. your. mind.
Ingredients to Make Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake
Typically, flourless chocolate cake contains eggs where the egg white gets whipped to bind and leaven the cake. But to keep this chocolate cake vegan and eggless, we’re going to do a couple of swaps.
- Hazelnut butter + Soft tofu + Tapioca starch: these 3 ingredients will help bind and give moisture.
- Baking powder: will help the cake rise without needing to whip egg whites.
In addition, we’ll need the following:
- Coconut sugar: keeping this cake refined sugar free! Any dry sugar can be used here.
- Hazelnut meal: acts as our “flour”, is the base and helps absorb all the liquid. Almond meal can also be used.
- High quality dark chocolate: makes this chocolate cake super decadent, rich and fudgy.
- Cocoa powder: helps intensify the chocolate flavour and absorbs extra liquid.
- Rum: to make this chocolate cake alcohol free, substitute black coffee.
How to Make Vegan Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake
Like I mentioned before, most flourless cakes require beating the egg whites but not this recipe. All the ingredients just go into a food processor, transferred into a spring form pan and baked- thats it! Crazy easy and it takes less than 10 minutes to put together. You could probably also pour the batter into a 8×8 inch brownie pan and cut them into squares instead!
What does Flourless Chocolate Cake Taste like?
And the result? Thick, rich and decant. It is NOT one of those light and fluffy chocolate cake. It’s almost a cross between a moist brownie and truffle… but still has a cake like crumb. The addition of the hazelnuts and rum takes it to the next level and just makes this chocolate cake that much more special.
Tips to Making Perfect Vegan Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake
- Make sure the ingredients are room temperature: This helps prevent the chocolate from stiffing up too fast. Working in a warmer kitchen also helps with this.
- Let it cool and sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours: Straight out of the oven, it’s very gooey. It sets when cooled and the flavour intensifies when left overnight.
- Use high quality dark chocolate and cocoa powder: It really does make a difference in this chocolate cake. I like to use minimum 70% dark chocolate.
How to Store Flourless Vegan Chocolate Cake
Once completely cooled, wrap or cover tightly so that the cake doesn’t dry out. It keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or, freeze for up to 2 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight when ready to eat.
Helpful Equipment to Make This Recipe
Make this flourless chocolate cake for your friends and family this holiday season, for new years or for really.. any occasion. It’s becomes my go-to back pocket chocolate cake and I’m sure it’ll impress all your guests! I REALLY hope you give this this Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake a try and love it as much as I do.
Wishing you all a happy holidays surrounded by your friends, family, happiness, love and GOOD FOOD. ❤️
More Vegan Holiday Desserts to Try!
- Flourless Pumpkin Brownies
- Eggplant Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Baked Eggnog Cheesecake
- Flourless Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 25 Vegan Christmas Holiday Cookies
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie
If you recreate this Vegan Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
This Flourless Chocolate Rum Cake is fudgy and decadent with a boozy kick to it. Incredibly quick and easy to prepare, it’s the perfect vegan chocolate cake for any holiday menu!
- 1/4 cup hazelnut butter (60g)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (100g)
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder (25g)
- 1 10oz package of soft tofu, room temperature (280g)
- 1/4 cup rum, room temperature (60ml // substitute black coffee for non-alcoholic cake)
- 6.5 oz high quality dark chocolate, melted (182g)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5g)
- 1 1/3 cup hazelnut meal (150g // or almond meal)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch (16g)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5g)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line or grease a 8×8 inch spring form pan with parchment paper.
- Into a food processor, add in the hazelnut butter, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, soft tofu and rum. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the melted dark chocolate and blend until smooth, scrapping down the sides as needed.
- Add in the hazelnut meal, tapioca starch and baking powder. Blend until combined and a uniform thick batter forms.
- Quickly transfer the batter into the spring form pan and smooth out the tops. Be sure to work quickly as the chocolate will begin to firm up.
- Bake in the oven for 38-40 minutes. Let it cool on the counter until room temperature. Then place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours- preferably overnight. Dust with cocoa powder and serve alone or with coconut whip cream.
- How to Store/Make Ahead: Once completely cooled, tightly wrap or cover with a lid. Place in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge when ready to eat. Dust with cocoa powder/powdered sugar before serving.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 15.6
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 5.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 4.45
- Protein: 9.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: flourless chocolate cake, vegan chocolate cake, gluten free, holiday desserts, christmas, new years
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!