An easy vegan shoyu ramen recipe made with just 7 ingredients and comes together in just 5 minutes!. This warming bowl of ramen noodles will instantly satisfy your ramen cravings.
Hiya friends, it's Sunday! You know what that means– it's time for another #slurpsunday recipe ft. this ultra easy shoyu ramen as a part of my mini Mix n' Slurp series.
In Japan, making ramen is kind of like an art. They've really mastered their culinary techniques to make sure every ingredient works harmoniously with each other from making the soup, the noodles and toppings.
While this obviously isn't michelin star bowl of ramen, it honestly tastes pretty darn delicious and tastes similar to the ones I get at the standing ramen shops in Japan. This ramen recipe is so quick and if you’re in need of a slurpy noodle soup fix, this really does the job!
What is Shoyu Ramen?
I'm sure you already know what ramen is, but what is shoyu? Shoyu is soy sauce in Japanese. So shoyu ramen means soy sauce ramen, or ramen with a soy sauce flavoured soup broth.
Shoyu ramen ingredients are as follows:
- Soy sauce: Durrrr. Feel free to use tamari for gluten free.
- Mentsuyu: Either homemade vegan mentsuyu or store bought concentrate, just be sure it's kombu based and not fish based!
- Mushroom sauce: Also known as vegetarian oyster sauce.
- Mushroom stock powder: Can be found at Asian grocery stores. In a pinch, vegetable stock powder is fine too.
- Sesame oil: For flavour.
- Aroma oil: Each week I make a batch of aroma oil with either garlic, ginger, scallion or a combination of these ingredients.
- Agar: Adding a touch of agar gives some body to the broth.
- Ramen noodles: Here I actually used spaghetti and turned it kind of into ramen noodles with this easy hack! But feel free to use whatever ramen noodles you like, fresh or dry. I like these instant ramen noodles that only take 3 minutes to cook.
- Ramen toppings: I kept it real simple with just some scallions, gyoza and nori but you can add vegetables like corn, bok choy, bean sprouts, mushrooms and more! Finish it off with some chili oil, scorched garlic oil and sesame seeds for added flavour and texture :).
How to make it
This mini ramen series is called "mix & slurp" for a reason! All it requires is to mix all the soup base ingredients together, add some cooked ramen noodles, top with whatever you like and slurp. Its just like instant ramen but better flavour, healthier and homemade– truly doesn't get any better than this!
Tip: cooking ramen noodles
You want the ramen noodles to be the very last thing thats ready and cooked because they are best eaten as soon as they're out of the water. I like to undercook my ramen noodles ever so slightly because they will continue to cook in the hot ramen broth. My workflow of making quick ramen is to make the soup broth in the bowl and prep the toppings as I'm waiting for the water to heat up. Then I just pour in the hot water, drain and add the noodles, and then quickly add on the toppings.
More delicious vegan ramens to slurp:
- 5 Minute Vegan Shio Ramen
- Black Sesame Tantanmen
- White Sesame Tantanmen
- Vegan Hiyashi Chuka (Cold ramen)
- Vegan Tonkotsu Ramen
- Hack: Make ramen noodles with pasta
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this vegan shoyu ramen recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
5 Minute Shoyu Ramen
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
A super easy vegan shoyu ramen recipe that comes together in just 5 minutes! Flavourful, warming and satisfying– perfect for weeknight meals.
For the ramen
- 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce (15-30ml), to taste
- 1 tbsp concentrated vegan mentsuyu (15ml)
- 1 tsp mushroom sauce (5g // ¼ tsp marmite)
- 1 ½ tsp mushroom stock powder (5g)
- ½ tsp sesame oil (3g)
- ¼ tsp agar (1g), optional
- 1 tsp aroma oil, optional*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ⅓ scant - 1 ⅔ scant cup water (350-400ml)
- 1 serving ramen noodles of choice, cooked (about 140g fresh or 80g dry)
- nori (seaweed)
- sesame seeds
- ra-yu (chili oil)
- ma-yu (garlic oil)
- Cook the noodles following manufactures directions.
- While waiting for the water to boil and noodles to cook make the soup base. Add soy sauce, mentsuyu, mushroom sauce, mushroom stock powder, sesame oil, aroma oil, salt and pepper to a bowl and stir to combine.
- If using agar (I would do this with step 1 to save time), bring 350-400ml of water to a boil and dissolve agar. Remove from heat and add to the bowl with the sauce and stir. If not using agar, you can simply add in hot water from a kettle directly to the bowl.
- Once noodles are finished cooking, strain and add to the soup. Add your favourite ramen toppings and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment: ramen strainer, whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool without the toppings (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 418
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 2294mg
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 69g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 19.6g
Keywords: easy vegan ramen, quick ramen recipe, instant ramen recipe
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!
I just made this on a whim Bc I had most of the ingredients (no mentsuyu) and omg so good ???? Literally tastes like instant ramen but better!! I fried up some tofu and added corn and edamame. So good and so fricken easy!!
This was so quick to prepare and so tasty! Easy to prepare on a weeknight after a long day of work. Thank you!