This ultra Quick & Easy Vegan Ramen is as easy as instant noodles but healthier, tastier and the perfect comfort meal!
Need a quick ramen fix? Say hello to this ultra easy shio ramen! This is a 'hack' passed down from my mom when she was in school– and actually quite popular in Japan despite the insane amount of instant ramen varieties.
How to make vegan ramen seasoning
All you need is 6 ingredients to make these 'instant' ramen noodles!
- Ramen noodles: I used fresh because they cook quicker and taste fresher (obviously). But you can also use dry ramen noodles.
- Agar agar: a touch of agar agar is the secret to giving the broth some body without simmering it in bones and collagen.
- Mentsuyu: here's a recipe for a vegan version, however you can also substitute with vegan dashi or ½ a teaspoon of kombu stock powder.
- Asian mushroom stock powder: mimics all the flavour that typically comes from simmering the broth for hours!
- Sesame seeds: for texture and flavour
- Scallion oil: gives additional body, heartiness and flavour
- Salt n' pepper: I don't really count these as ingredients but these are essential for that simple shio broth.
In addition, you will also need baking staples like vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
How to make a quick homemade ramen
Did I mention it's as easy as instant noodles?! Here's how it goes down:
- Boil water for the broth and the noodles
- In the meantime, mix all the ramen seasoning ingredients in a warmed bowl
- Drop the noodles into the hot water– and stir in agar into the water until dissolved, then add it to the bowl.
- Drain the noodles and then add it to the bowl
As far as toppings go, Shio ramen is typically very simple and served with 2-3 toppings: chashu, naga negi (Japanese long leeks) and nori. I have two chashu recipes for ramen coming soon but you can also add additional veggies (see recipes below for some ideas) pan fried tofu or any protein of choice to bulk it up.
More Vegan Ramen Recipes to Love!
- Vegan Tonkotsu Ramen
- White Sesame Tantanmen
- Black Sesame Tantanmen
- Mix & Slurp Shoyu Ramen (coming soon)
- Mix & Slurp Miso Ramen (coming soon)
If you recreate this Easy Vegan Ramen recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
5 Minute Vegan Ramen
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- 1 serving of ramen noodles, gluten free if needed
- 350ml - 400ml of water
- ⅛ tsp agar agar powder, optional
- ½ tbsp vegan mentsuyu (can sub ½ tsp kombu stock powder)
- 1 tbsp Japanese or Chinese mushroom stock powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- pinch of black or white pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame or scallion oil
- Start by bringing 350-400ml of water to a boil in a small pot. In another pot, bring water to a boil for the noodles.
- In the meantime, add the vegan mentsuyu, mushroom stock powder, salt, pepper, sesame seeds and scallion oil to a warmed bowl and whisk to combine.
- Once the water for the noodles begins to bubble, add in the agar agar and whisk for a few seconds. Once the water is heated, add it to the noodle bowl and stir. By now the water for the noodles should be boiling so drop them in and cook for the amount of time recommended on the packaging*.
- *Note: depending on what kind of ramen noodles you use, you may want to multi-task and drop the noodles in earlier if they need a longer cooking time. Fresh noodles take about 2 minutes whereas dry noodles can take up to 5 minutes.
- Helpful Equipment: whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: easy ramen, vegan ramen recipe, healthier ramen, instant ramen
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!
Flavor bomb! As a vegan (plant based), I find it difficult to find vegan and gluten free ramen. But this recipe is perfection 😍 it was super convenient because I had all the ingredients in my pantry, and in total it took about 45 minutes (prep & cooking time). I will definitely be making this for my family and everyone!!! I also appreciate the time in effort Lisa puts into her videos, it makes it so easy to follow along and recreate the vegan ramen!