Incredible one pot creamy miso mushroom pasta loaded with mushrooms and a creamy nutty umami bomb sauce. This vegan creamy mushroom pasta is the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner that is warm and comforting.
As much as I do love a good pasta salad, my body craves all the creamy pastas as soon as it gets a little chilly outside. Something about perfectly cooked pasta noodles dressed in a delicious sauce is just so warming and has always been my go-to comfort food.
We never ate a ton of stroganoff growing up, but this is something my mom would make us instead. It was kinda like her take on mushroom stroganoff with a Japanese twist. Her original recipe calls for a bit of heavy cream but I've found just using all sesame paste came out just as delicious.
Ingredients for creamy mushroom miso pasta
This creamy mushroom pasta requires just 8 ingredients that are pantry staples in my kitchen. Here's what you'll need:
- Japanese leek: basically huge versions of scallions! You can find them at Asian grocery stores or you can just substitute with some scallions instead
- Cultivated mushrooms: I like to use two types of mushrooms for both flavour and texture-- my go to's are shiimeji, shiitake, enoki and oyster mushrooms
- Pasta: farfalle and penne works best for 1-pot pastas
- Asian sesame paste: different from tahini, it's much more deep in flavour since the sesame seed kernels are roasted and pairs incredibly well with the miso paste
- Miso paste
- Nutritional yeast: adds savory flavour and enhances the creamy texture
- Rice vinegar: for a bit of tanggggg
How to make creamy mushroom pasta in one pot
My vegan 1-pot mushroom stroganoff is based off this recipe and method and is super easy:
- Cook leeks, garlic and mushrooms until it starts to shrink and caramelize.
- Add the pasta, veggie broth, soy sauce (or salt) and nutritional yeast and simmer uncovered for about 10-12 minutes until pasta is al dente. Add ¼ cup of water and stir if the pasta is not done cooking and there isn't enough liquid.
- Turn off the heat and stir in rice vinegar, tahini and miso paste. Adding these at the very end helps retain their flavours and keeps them bold.
- Adjust taste, serve and enjoy!
I've been making this 2-3 times a week since it started to get really chilly here and it is so warming and comforting, honestly just as much as mac and cheese!! I hope you try this easy peasy creamy mushroom pasta recipe and love it as much as we do!
More delicious vegan pasta recipes:
- 1-Pot Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Vegan Japanese Macaroni Gratin
- 5-Ingredient No-Boil Pasta Bake
- Hummus Pasta Bake
- Mushroom Pasta with Soy Garlic Butter
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this One Pot Creamy Miso Mushroom Pasta recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Creamy Miso Mushroom Pasta (Vegan)
Creamy umami packed vegan miso mushroom pasta for a quick and easy weeknight meal for when you need something warming and comforting.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- 1 Japanese leek, sliced with white and green parts separated (or 2-3 scallions)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 4-5oz packages of cultivated mushrooms (224-280g // I like to use shimeji, shiitake and oyster mushrooms)
- 6 oz penne or farfalle pasta (168g // gluten free as needed)
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth (500-750ml)
- 1 heaping tablespoon nutritional yeast (10g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, optional can sub for ¼ tsp of salt
- 3 ½ tbsp Asian sesame paste (52g)
- 1 ½ tbsp rice vinegar (22g)
- 2 tbsp miso paste (24g)
- Over medium high heat, add white parks of Japanese leek and garlic to a large pan and cook until light browned. Add mushrooms and cook until they have started to release some water and is beginning to shrink in size (about 3 minutes).
- Add the pasta, 2 cups vegetable broth, soy sauce and nutritional yeast and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low-medium low and simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes until noodles are al dente. Add remaining cup of vegetable broth ¼ cup at a time as needed.
- Turn off the heat and then stir in green parts of the leek, rice vinegar, tahini and miso paste. Taste and add more seasonings to your liking. Serve, garnish with sesame seeds and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 562
- Sugar: 7.5
- Sodium: 652
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 2.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 12.9
- Carbohydrates: 85
- Fiber: 14.8
- Protein: 24.3
Keywords: one pot vegan pasta, miso mushroom pasta, creamy mushroom pasta
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!