These Almond Flour Sugar Cookies are the perfect cutout cookies to make this holiday season. Delectably soft and chewy with the perfect amount of sweetness. These healthy sugar cookies are also vegan, gluten free, oil free and can be made refined sugar free!
OMG GUYS. I DID IT. IT’S HERE. Vegan AND gluten free Sugar Cookies. This recipe was totally suppose to go up next week but I’m way too excited I had to share it today.
I was kind of torn between the crispy kind of sugar cookies and soft-chewy sugar cookies but after a lot of contemplation, I went for the soft and chewy cut out cookies. And wow, I’m so glad I did- they remind me of my childhood holiday favourite: pillsbury holiday sugar cookies. Are you guys ready to make some FIRE SAUCE sugar cookies? Let’s do this.
Ingredients in these Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
These cut out sugar cookies are made with just 8 ingredients that are vegan, gluten free, oil free, flourless and can be made refined sugar free.
- Almond flour: The key ingredient to make these cookies buttery and moist without any added oils. Be sure to use super fine almond flour for best results and NOT almond meal.
- Tapioca Starch: When working with almond flour, I always like to add in tapioca starch to ensure they don’t just fall apart which is super important for cut-out sugar cookies.
- Tahini: Makes these cookies extra buttery rich.
- Apple Sauce & Baking powder: These two ingredients replace eggs that are typically used and make them incredibly soft.
- Maple syrup: An additional sweetener that also helps hold these cookies together.
- Sugar: Either cane or coconut sugar works here. Cane sugar makes them much more traditional with just little specks of crunchiness while coconut sugar makes the cookies slightly softer and darker.
- Vanilla extract: Gives depth and more flavour to these sugar cookies!
And I know a lot of people are big on frosting their cookies so I also provided a quick and easy cashew buttercream frosting in the recipe card that I love using in sandwich cookies (coming soon) and carrot cakes. However, I think they are absolutely delicious as is.
How to Make Vegan Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
These cookies are easy to make in just 1 bowl and there’s no chilling time involved. Simply:
- Mix wet ingredients into a bowl.
- Add in dry ingredients and combine.
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin
- Cut out cookies
- Transfer onto cookie baking tray. Bake for 13-15 minutes and then let them cool!
Important Tips to Making these Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
- Weigh the Ingredients: It yields accurate and best results! Adding too much liquid/dry ingredients can change the texture significantly. If you don’t have a kitchen scale, be sure to level off your measuring tools.
- Roll the Dough 1/4 of an Inch in Thickness: Too thin and the cookies will break. Too thick and cookies will be dough-y and more on the raw side (still tasty though).
- Let Cookies Cool on Baking Tray: These sugar cookies are delicate right out of the oven so be sure to let them cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie tray. Then carefully (slide them off or use a spatula) transfer them onto a wire rack and let them cool completely for the best texture.
How to Store Sugar Cookies
- Unfrosted Sugar Cookies: Store at room temperature in an air tight container for 2-3 days.
- Frosted Sugar Cookies: Store in the refrigerator in a air tight container for up to 3 days.
- To Freeze Sugar Cookies: Place the cookies into the freezer on a flat baking tray. Once frozen, place them into air tight (reusable) ziplock bags. .
Helpful Equipment to Make Almond Flour Sugar Cookies
- Food Scale: For best results, use a food scale and weigh ingredients.
- Parchment Paper / Silicon Baking Mat: To ensure the cookies don’t stick to the cookie pan.
- Rolling Pin: I find a wooden rolling pin much easier to work with especially for cookies.
- Cookie Baking Tray: A light coloured baking tray for even baking and so the cookies don’t get too browned.
- Wire Cooling Rack: To let the cookies cool properly without getting soggy.
I hope you love these Vegan Almond Flour Sugar Cookies as much as I do! They’re so soft, chewy and melt-in-yo-mouth… and kind of remind me of pillsbury cookies! So now that you have some weekend plans…
More Vegan Holiday Cookies to Make!
- Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Snowball Cookies
- Salted Pretzel Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
If you recreate this Almond Flour Sugar Cookies recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!