These Almond Flour Sugar Cookies are the perfect cutout cookies to make this holiday season. Delectably soft and chewy with the perfect amount of sweetness. These healthy sugar cookies are also vegan, gluten free, oil free and can be made refined sugar free!
- 1/4 cup tahini (60ml // or runny cashew butter)*
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (60g)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (40g)
- 2 tbsp sugar (26g // cane or coconut sugar)*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (7.5g)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, optional (2.5g)
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour (140g)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (32g) + more for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder (5g)
Cashew Buttercream Frosting (Optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Into a large mixing bowl, add in the tahini, apple sauce, maple syrup, sugar and vanilla, and whisk to combine. Then add in the almond flour, tapioca starch and baking powder. Use a silicon spatula and mix well until a dough forms.
- Cover work surface with parchment paper, dust surface with some tapioca starch and then transfer the dough on top. Dust the top of the dough with more tapioca starch and roll it out using a rolling pin, around 1/4 of an inch in thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter and cut into desired shapes/sizes. Gather scraps, re-roll out the dough and cut more cookies out. Repeat until you run out of dough.
- Using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies onto a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges are ever so slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 2 minutes on the baking tray. Then carefully transfer the them onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy as is or get creative and frost/decorate them to you liking!
- Store leftovers in an air tight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Cashew Buttercream Frosting
- Add all the ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cookies using a spoon or frosting pipe once the cookies have completely cooled. Frosted cookies are best eaten the day its made but leftovers can be stored fridge for up to 3 days.
- I find cane sugar gives the best texture for these cookies BUT coconut sugar can also be used. The cookies do tend to be just slightly softer.
- For best results, use super fine almond flour- NOT almond meal.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Desserts, Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.68g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.75g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: almond flour sugar cookies, vegan sugar cookies, christmas, holiday