Fluffy stuffed bao buns made without yeast for a quick and easy snack or meal! Stuff with your favourite fillings and steam or pan fry them.
If you recreate this Yeast Free Stuffed Bao Buns recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 250g bao or cake flour* (about 1 1/2 cup + 3.5 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp baking powder (14g)
- 1–2 tbsp sugar, optional 28g
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (30ml)
- 125ml-140 oat milk (start with lesser amount, I use exactly 128ml)
- Filling of choice
- Stand mix: Add bao flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into the bowl of the electric mixer. Start on low speed and then add in the lesser amount of oat milk and oil. Bring to medium speed (setting 4) and let it run until the dough comes together. You may need to stop to scrape the sides of the bowl and knead with your hands a few times to bring it together. If It seems dry even after kneading with your hands, add remaining amount of liquid (and 1 tsp at a time more, as needed). The dough should be mostly smooth, moist but not too sticky where you can’t handle the dough. Cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare your filling.
- Hands & Bowl: Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. While mixing with chopsticks, pour in the oat milk and oil. Keep mixing until the water is mixed into the flour and then switch to your hands. Knead the dough until mostly smooth. If the dough seems dry after kneading with your hands for a few minutes, add remaining liquid (1 tsp at a time more as needed). The dough should be stretchy, moist and sticky, but not too wet that it sticks to your hands. Cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare your filling.
Rolling, rilling & pleating
- Place the dough on to your work surface and divide it into 10 pieces (depending on size). Work with one at a time, covering the other ones with a damp kitchen cloth to to prevent them from drying.
- Flatten the dough with the palm of your hands and roll into a 4 – 4 1/2 inch circle, aiming to keep the middle thicker and the outside thinner.
- Place the dough on your hands, add some filling (about 1 heaping tbsp) and pleat to cover the filling. Place on a small piece of parchment paper and then into the bamboo steamer basket or tray.
- TO STEAM: Steam for 10 minutes over medium high heat. Turn off and remove it away from the heat. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes and then remove the lid. Serve and enjoy immediately.
- TO PAN FRY: Heat pan with oil over medium heat. While waiting, lightly wet the bottom of the buns and dip into sesame seeds. Add the buns to the pan and cook until the bottom is golden and crispy. Add hot water into the pan, covering just about 1/3 of the height of the buns and quickly cover with a lid. The water should be at a rumbling simmer– cook for 8-10 minutes or until the water is mostly evaporated. Remove the lid, sprinkle on sesame seeds and scallions. Serve and enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce.
- If using all purpose flour, use 200g all purpose flour plus 50g corn starch
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!