Quick & easy vegan zha jiang mian (Beijing Fried Sauce Noodles). Packed with flavour, this Chinese "meat" sauce is perfect over noodles, rice and vegetables!Print
Zha Jiang Mian (Vegan)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (15ml)
- ¼ cup shaoxing wine (60ml)
- ½ ml cup shiitake mushroom soaking water (120ml)
- ⅓ cup water (80ml)
- 3 tbsp ground bean sauce (45g)
- 2-3 tablespoon sweet bean sauce, to taste (30-45g)
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce, to taste (15g)
- 5-6 dried shiitake mushrooms (100g, after soaked weight)
- 4 oz firm tofu (110g)
- ¼ cup walnuts (32g)
- 1 tbsp ginger (15g)
- 2 garlic cloves (6g)
- 1 small onion, chopped or scallion bottoms (40g)
- 2 tsp cane sugar (8g)
- ¼ tsp salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, to taste
- Bok choy
- Scallions or cilantro
- Sesame seeds
- Add all sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, walnuts, ginger and garlic to a food processor and pulse blend until
- To a food processor, add the mushrooms, walnuts, ginger and garlic and process. Add in tofu and pulse until chopped into small bits (but not a paste).Add in the tofu and pulse blend a few times just until crumbly.
- Add peanut oil to a wok or large pan and cook the tofu mixture until it begins to look dry over medium high heat. Add in the sauce over low heat, stirring continuously for 8 minutes. Add in the chopped onions and fry until cooked but still crisp (about 4 minutes). Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. If the pan gets too dry at any point, add in ¼ cup fo water. Remove from heat.
- Serve over noodles and top with cucumbers, scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Looks like an amazing recipe will try. But are there other names for ground bean and sweet bean sauce please? I am not sure I have seen those in my local Asian grocery?
Lisa Kitahara says
Hi Leslie! I've added a photo of what they look like along with some links to whee you can find them. Thats the name as is 🙂
Hi thank you. I'm pretty sure those are available in Australia too 🙂 My local Asian grocer has nearly every sauce from that brand! I'll let you know once i have made the recipe 🙂