Quick & easy vegan zha jiang mian (Beijing Fried Sauce Noodles). Packed with flavour, this Chinese “meat” sauce is perfect over noodles, rice and vegetables!Print
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce (15ml)
- ¼ cup shaoxing wine (60ml)
- 1/2 ml cup shiitake mushroom soaking water (120ml)
- 1/3 cup water (80ml)
- 3 tbsp ground bean sauce (45g)
- 2–3 tbsp sweet bean sauce, to taste (30-45g)
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce, to taste (15g)
- 5–6 dried shiitake mushrooms (100g, after soaked weight)
- 4 oz firm tofu (110g)
- ¼ cup walnuts (32g)
- 1 tbsp ginger (15g)
- 2 garlic cloves (6g)
- 1 small onion, chopped or scallion bottoms (40g)
- 2 tsp cane sugar (8g)
- ¼ tsp salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper, to taste
- Bok choy
- Scallions or cilantro
- Sesame seeds
- Add all sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, walnuts, ginger and garlic to a food processor and pulse blend until
- To a food processor, add the mushrooms, walnuts, ginger and garlic and process. Add in tofu and pulse until chopped into small bits (but not a paste).Add in the tofu and pulse blend a few times just until crumbly.
- Add peanut oil to a wok or large pan and cook the tofu mixture until it begins to look dry over medium high heat. Add in the sauce over low heat, stirring continuously for 8 minutes. Add in the chopped onions and fry until cooked but still crisp (about 4 minutes). Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. If the pan gets too dry at any point, add in 1/4 cup fo water. Remove from heat.
- Serve over noodles and top with cucumbers, scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!