This recipe for Sesame Orange "Chick-Un" will satisfy any chinese-take out cravings. Smother your favourite protein in this delicious sweet and sour orange sauce with notes of aromatic roasted sesame oil... yum.
Orange chicken was probably one of my FAVOURITE dishes to order when I was at chinese restaurants. Something about the sweet and sour combo over a bed of steaming aromatic jasmine rice just soothed my soul. The funny thing was, I actually never really ate the chicken but just the vegetables in it because I didn't like the texture of meat but just loved the sauce!
You really can't skip out on the sesame oil here, it just brings the whole dish together by adding this aromatic smell and taste that just elevates this dish to the next level.
Also, I don't think I talk about how much I love soy curls enough.. they're seriously the best! I love my tempeh, tofu and beans but sometimes changing it up and using soy curls for a different texture just makes it a whole new experience- if you can get your hands on some I would 10/10 recommend!
If you make this dish, please share it with me and everyone else on Instagram and tag me @lisakitahara, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
- ½ c freshly squeezed orange juice*
- 1.5 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced**
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced***
- ½ tablespoon miso paste
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 servings of soy curls****
- 1 onion
- 1 c broccoli
- ½ c edamame
- * feel free to use any kind of orange juice, however freshly squeezed really does make a difference!
- ** can sub for ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ** can sub for 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- if you like a sweeter sauce, add in 1-2 tablespoon of maple syrup or sweetener of choice 🙂
- **** can sub for 1 block of firm tofu of tempeh, these are awesome options as well!
- My favourite brand of soy curls are from butlers and I can find them at bulk barn
- Soak the soy curls into water
- Mix all the sauce ingredients into a bowl and set aside
- Drizzle a little roasted sesmae oil into the pan and fry until golden brown
- By this time, the soy curls should be re-constituted, drain and add into the frypan with the onions and let it pan fry up until desired browning
- Add in the broccoli and edamame and let it cook until very slightly cooked where the broccoli will turn a little more vibrant in colour
- Add in your sauce and cook until desired consistency (the longer you cook it for, the more thick the sauce will be!)
- Serve over a bed of rice and top with scallions and toasted sesame seeds