Learn how to make easy One Pot Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with al dente pasta and a flavour packed creamy sauce. Simple, wholesome ingredients and so hearty! Weeknight comfort food as its finest.
Mushrooms are one of those things people either like or don’t like. I personally, LOVE (all) mushrooms. Shiitake, enoki, button, portobello… you name it.
Mushrooms on their own just have so much meatiness and umami goodness to them, they’re a dream to work with once you know how to cook and season them right.
This is where mushroom stroganoff comes in. This recipe takes advantage of all it’s delicious flavours and it’s such a great substitute for ‘beef’ in stroganoff!
What Goes in Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
The ingredients needed to make mushroom stroganoff are pretty basic and I’m betting you already have most of these in your pantry!
- Mushrooms: I used button mushrooms but cremini can be used.
- Pasta: I like to use chickpea pasta but use any shape/kind of pasta you like!
- Broth: Gives extra flavour than just using water.
- Onion & Garlic: for some aromatics and more flavour
Typically stroganoff is served in a sour cream based sauce but to make this dairy free, I went with a blend of cashews and cashew milk (inspired by Caitlin’s version where she used cashew butter!). Blending these two makes a thicker and rich milk rather than using just plant milk. Nutritional yeast, miso paste and apple cider vinegar give it that enhanced sour cream flavour.
How to Make Mushroom Stroganoff in One Pot
Whats nice about this recipe is that it’s made in just one pot. No draining the pasta, no fuss, no mess. Here’s how it goes down:
- Cook onions, garlic and mushrooms until browned and all the liquid from the mushrooms cook off. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and then add in the vegetable stock.
- Bring the broth to a boil and then add in the pasta and stroganoff sauce mixture.
- Stir and let it simmer until the noodles have cooked and the sauce has thickened.
And there you have it, the best mushroom stroganoff! So easy right?!
Don’t feel like using your blender?
You can use pre-made cashew cream and replace the cashews and cashew milk 1:1, so a total of 1 1/3 cup cashew cream. If your cashew cream is thick, scale it back and replace some with non dairy milk.
You can also sub the cashews with cashew butter, tahini or a thicker vegan yogurt in weight and add the sauce ingredients directly to the pot when the sauce is added instead.
And okay, I know… some of you might be thinking “how hard is to boil a pot of water?”. It’s not, it’s easy but this recipe is for days when you’ve had a crazy day and you just want to be ultra lazy. Cause lets be honest, who’s trying to wash another giant pot if you CAN make a delicious stroganoff in one pot? Notttt me.
I hope you get a chance to try this recipe and love it as much as I do! It’s so low maintenance, highly delicious and it just *might* become your new go-to fav weeknight meal 🙂 Enjoy!
Craving More Pasta? Check Out My Other Favourite Vegan Pasta Recipes!
- Vegan Supreme Mac & Cheese
- Vegan Tempeh Noodle Casserole
- Kale Miso Caesar Pasta Salad with Smoky Tempeh
- Vegan Pesto Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Vegan Enchilada Lasagna with Cilantro Cream Sauce
- Mushroom Pasta with Soy Butter Garlic Sauce
If you recreate this 1-Pot Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!