These Vegan Kabocha Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls are moist, fluffy, sweet and spiced to perfection. Easy to make and only 9 ingredients needed! Healthy, refined sugar free and oil free but still decadent and delicious. Gluten Free Option.
Okay, I know fall just started but I’ve already gone through 3 500ml cans of pumpkin and around 2 extra large kabochas… and it isn’t even October yet. A little crazy, I know but can you blame me? When the leaves start changing colour and the temperature drops my body just craves all the cozy recipes- specifically cozy pumpkin recipes. And you know what else is cozy? Yep, cinnamon rolls. Combine those two together and you get Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls aka the ultimate cozy-comforting-fall food.
I COULD have just been basic and used regular old pumpkin but I wanted to put my own spin on it so I decided to use Kabocha. Kabocha is a part of the squash family and is also known as a Japanese Pumpkin. It’s flesh is a rich deep orange colour and the texture is similar to a chestnut or Japanese sweet potato. It’s much more dense and not watery like typical pumpkin which I personally love. You can purchase Kabocha Squash nearly anywhere and because they’re in season they’re sweet and delicious. Plus, they taste amazing with cinnamon and pumpkin spices- very fitting for cinnamon rolls eh? I am BEYOND excited to share this recipe so let’s get right into it!
Ingredients for Vegan Kabocha Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
These vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls are made with just 9 ingredients!
- Unsweetened soy milk
- Active dry yeast – to get the dough to rise and become *super* fluffy
- Maple syrup – to activate the yeast and brush on the dough so the filling sticks and gets all gooey
- All Purpose Flour – can be substituted with gluten free all purpose flour that contains xanthan gum (see recipe notes)
- Coconut cream – to replace the oil and give these cinnamon rolls moisture
- Coconut sugar – for sweetness in the filling
- Pumpkin pie spice – to key ingredient that brings out the pumpkin flavours!
- Walnuts – for some added flavour and texture
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
To achieve really fluffy and moist Vegan & Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls, it does take some time for the dough to rise but the steps are VERY easy and similar to my Vegan Apple Cinnamon Rolls.
I use a bread machine to make all my buns and breads. I use a Japanese Panasonic Bread Machine, which is quite expensive (but worth it IMO). I also own a cheaper Cuisine Art Bread Machine which also does the job just fine. See below to make vegan cinnamon rolls without a bread machine.
- Step 1. Microwave 200g of kabocha squash on high for 4 minutes, or until fully cooked. Discard the skin and mash until it turns into a paste.
- Step 2. Heat non-dairy milk in the microwave for 15 seconds or until warm to the touch. Mix in the yeast and maple syrup until combined. Allow the yeast to activate for 5 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Step 3. Add the flour, kabocha pumpkin, coconut cream, salt and salt into your bread machine. Then add in the milk yeast mixture. Close the bread machine and set it to dough.
- Step 4. Combine the coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice and walnuts in a bowl. As well, prep a flat working surface by lightly dusting with flour.
- Step 5. Once the dough is finished kneading and has doubled in size, flour your hands, punch the dough down and transfer to working surface.
- Step 6: Knead the dough 4-5 times and gather to form a flat ball.
- Step 7: Roll the dough into a rectangle. The dough shouldn’t be too thin or too thick (approx. 1/2 cm). Then, brush the dough with maple syrup.
- Step 8. Spread the cinnamon sugar walnut mixture evenly.
- Step 9. Starting at the end closes to you, roll the dough tightly upwards.
- Step 10. Then with a sharp knife, divide the dough into 6 equal sized pieces.
- Step 11. Transfer the dough into a 8×12 inch baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp light cloth and let it sit in a warm area for 15 minutes or until it doubles in size. Pre-heat oven to 180C (350F).
- Step 12. Remove the wrap and bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
How to Make Cinnamon Rolls Without a Bread Machine
You can make vegan cinnamon rolls using the exact same method minus the use of the bread machine. Make the yeast mixture in a bowl and allow it to activate. Then add in the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and stir. Once it becomes thick, flour your hands and a flat working surface and start kneading (around 1 minute) and form a ball. Place it back into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise (for approx. 1 hour) until doubled in size. From there, carry on from Step 6.
Tips and Tricks to Making Perfect Moist & Fluffy Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Weigh your ingredients! This one is SUPER important. To achieve really moist and fluffy vegan cinnamon rolls, you don’t want the ingredient ratios to be off. This can really change the texture of the cinnamon rolls especially because these are gluten and oil free.
- Warm the milk. It’s easier the dissolve the yeast which beans the dough will become more light and fluffy. Be sure not to over heat the milk or that will kill the yeast. It should be slightly above room temperature.
- Check the texture of the Kabocha. Kabocha is typically very dense, thick and not watery like typical pumpkin. If your kabocha is more watery, decrease the liquid and start with 1/4-1/3 cup (60-80ml) of soy milk. Watch the dough knead in the bread machine. If it looks like i needs some more moisture, add little by little as needed to get the dough kneading.
- Watch the size of the dough. The timing is approximate and was written based on my kitchen temperature. If your kitchen is colder, it will take longer for the dough to rise and double in size. If your kitchen is warmer, it will take less time. Check the dough often, it it looks like it has risen x1.5-2, it’s ready to be worked with and baked.
- Replacing Kabocha Squash. If you really can’t find Kabocha, you can use pumpkin puree. However, I would defiantly decrease the amount of liquid and start with 1/4 cup of milk (60ml).
More Kabocha & Pumpkin Recipes to Love!
- Kabocha Bagels with Vegan Cinnamon Cream Cheese
- Vegan Kabocha Potage
- Pumpkin Twist Bread
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Vegan Pumpkin Coffee Curry
I REALLY hope you guys try and love this Vegan Kabocha Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll recipe out. It’s seriously so so delicious and can be enjoyed for breakfast, snack or dessert!
If you recreate this Vegan Kabocha Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!