Quick & easy sweet potato mochi stuffed with melty cheese. The perfect healthy snack or side dish! (Vegan + Gluten Free)
Since you guys loved the Daigaku Imo-mochi, I wanted to share another variation stuffed with vegan melty cheese! Typically, Hokkaido potato cheese mochi uses regular potatoes but the sweetness from the sweet potatoes add a touch of sweetness that pairs so incredibly delicious with the vegan cheese and butter.
It's quick and easy to make– just cook the sweet potatoes (in the microwave or steamed), mash the potato starch and milk together and then wrap it around your choice of cheese. Pan fry them until both sides are golden brown. Enjoy them fresh off the stove!
If you recreate this Sweet Potato Cheese Mochi recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Sweet Potato Cheese Mochi
Japanese sweet potatoes stuffed with melty cheese! Quick, easy and healthy– perfect as a snack or as side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: snacks
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan gluten free, japanese
- 1 medium Japanese sweet potato, cooked (net weight cooked without skin 270g)
- 2-3 tablespoon potato starch (20-30g)
- 3-4 tablespoon non-dairy milk (45-60ml)
- vegan cheese, as needed
- 2-3 teaspoon vegan butter (10-15g)
- pinch of salt
- Mash the sweet potato until mostly smooth. Add lesser amount of potato starch and non-dairy milk. Depending on how dry the sweet potato is, you may need more potato starch or non-dairy milk. The consistency should be not too sticky nor dry where you can roll them into balls.
- Divide the mixture into 5-6 equal portions. Flatten in your hands and then place some cheese in the middle, and then wrap it closed.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add vegan butter and then place the potato mochis on the pan. Cook until golden brown and then flip (about 3 minutes). Cook until golden brown again (about 2 minutes).
- Drizzle with a little maple syrup. Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: sweet potato mochi, imo mochi, japanese sweet potato
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!