A quick and easy Chinese tofu salad made with tofu noodles, fresh cucumbers, carrots and a spicy tangy dressing. This flavourful tofu skin salad is packed with nutrition and plant based protein! (Vegan + Gluten Free option)
So many classic combos with banana: chocolate banana? yum. peanut butter banana? yesss. strawberries and banana? sign. me. up.
What is Tofu Skin?
Tofu skin is a type of tofu that is compressed into sheets (think pressed tofu, but even more pressed). You can buy them fresh or dried at most Asian grocery stores. They’re perfect for stir fries, stuffing for baos and salads! Unconventional, but I also like to cut them up and use them in pasta, ramens, noodle soups, hot pot and more.
You can also find tofu skin cut into noodles (called tofu strips, tofu noodles or shredded tofu). They come in a wide range of widths from super thick, medium and strands like spaghetti.
This tofu salad is more of like a guide, I rarely ever measure out the ingredients and just kind of eyeball it. It’s also easily customizable and you can swap around ingredients depending on what you have in your kitchen! For the base, here’s what you’ll need:
- Tofu Skin: Also sold as bean curd skin, tofu noodles or tofu strips. Find these are your local asian grocery store in the refrigerated or dry section!
- Cucumbers: Super refreshing and pairs so well with the chili oil but you could also use other fresh vegetables like lettuce or zucchini.
- Carrots: Add texture and a nice sweetness to it. Bell peppers or celery are also great options.
- Ginger & garlic: You can omit or add more of either if preferred. Sometimes when I’m lazy, I’ll just use granulated garlic powder.
- Chinese black vinegar: I love the malty flavour this vinegar gives but rice vinegar can also be used.
- Soy sauce: Make it gluten free by swapping it for tamari.
- Maple syrup: for a subtle sweetness.
- Sesame oil: gives a bit of aroma.
- Lao gan ma (chili crisp oil): Adds spice and mega flavour.
- Garnishes: scallions, cilantro, penuts, sesame seeds
How to make it
One of my favourite things about this dish is that it comes together in minutes, especially if you use the tofu skin thats already cut up into noodles.
- First, slice the tofu skin into strips. I find it easiest to roll it up first (see photo).
- Next, make the sauce by combining everything in a bowl.
- Add the tofu strips, cucumbers and carrots, and toss everything together. Garnish and serve!
LOOK AT HOW BEAUTIFUL THEY COME OUT. Perfectly swirled. Perfectly fluffy. Perfectly tall. Kinda (really) mesmerizing.
More tofu recipes to try:
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
- Kimchi Tofu Scramble
- Crispy Coconut Crusted Tofu
- Asian Tofu Beef Bowls
- Sticky Lemon Tofu
If you recreate this Spicy Tofu Skin Salad recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!