This mega flavourful Marinated Hoisin Peanut Tempeh is easy to make with just 8 pantry staple ingredients. Perfect for meal prep and adding plant based protein to rice bowls, noodles, salads, sandwiches and more! Vegan + gluten free option.
I always loved tempeh. I love the texture, the flavour and how nutritious it is. I attribute my love for tempeh to eating natto and lots (LOTS) of tofu growing up. I know that's not the case for most and if you're still on the fence about tempeh, I urge you to try this recipe- I really think it'll change your mind.
Why is this peanut tempeh so awesome? Well,
- it's incredibly easy.
- it's virtually hands off.
- it can be cooked with 3 different methods.
- it's packed with plant based protein.
- it's perfect for meal prep.
- it goes well with like, EVERYTHING.
- it's mega flavourful and just so damn delicious.
Saucy Hoisin Peanut Tempeh coming right atcha.
How to Make Hoisin Peanut Tempeh
All you need are 8 ingredients that are pretty much pantry staples and super duper easy to prepare:
- Cut: You can cut it in any shape you like! I really like the triangle because I find it marinates much better than the cubed because it's much more thin. You can even go lengthwise with it like a rectangle, about ¼ inch in thickness.
- Steam: This is optional, but steaming tempeh gets rid of the sight bitter taste it naturally has. I place the tempeh in a bamboo steamer basket over boiling water for 12 minutes.
- Marinate: Toss the tempeh in the marinade and then let it sit for at least 2 hours. Preferably overnight for maximal flavour.
- Bake: Bake for 12 minutes at 400 F. Flip the tempeh and brush with more marinade and then bake for another 12-15 minutes until the edges look slightly crispy.
Wowza. Look at that. Saucy. Crispy. Beautiful.
Annnnd, if you don't have an oven you can totally make this in a air fryer or on a stove top. 375 F in an air fryer for 15 minutes. 4-5 minutes on each side on a stove top over medium high heat. Done.
So many ways to serve up this peanut tempeh too. Ideas include:
- Rice/Grain bowls
- Noodle bowls
- Over salads
- In sandwiches
- Straight off the pan
Also amazing for meal prep because it keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days!
And there you have it. Life changing tempeh.
Incase you need more tempeh inspiration, try tempeh tuna casserole, smokey tempeh over pasta salad and this tempeh gyro bowl! And if you still need more inspiration, stay tuned because I'll be posting a how to cook tempeh guide + lots of marinade recipes real soon 😉♥!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Marinated Hoisin Peanut Tempeh recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!