This Lemongrass and Ginger Thai Coconut Soup is aromatic, full of flavour and thoroughly comforting. An easy 1-pot weeknight dinner ready in under 30 minutes. Vegan + Gluten Free
Thai cuisine is probably one of my top favourite cuisines and it becomes even more apparent once the colder season starts to hit. Thai food is just so so cozy, comforting and satisfying thanks to all of its quintessential aromatics and spices commonly used. One of my go-to soups to get at restaurants is called Tom Kha Gai, which is essentially a creamy coconut soup. This lemongrass coconut soup I’m sharing today is inspired by and a rendition to Tom Kha Gai.
Traditionally, Tom Kha Gai uses galangal. The word kha means galangal, which is a rhizomatous spice similar to ginger (but the flavour profile is very different).
Ingredients to Make Lemongrass and Ginger Thai Coconut Soup
I know galangal may be difficult to find so I’ve instead infused this thai coconut soup with ginger, lemongrass, garlic and scallions. Lemongrass has a citusy flavour and aroma- essential in this soup. However, if you REALLY can’t find lemongrass you can opt to use equal parts lemon peel and ginger *LAST RESORT*!
To make it more spicy, I sometimes also like to add in a bit of curry paste. The sweetness of the soup comes from the coconut milk and carrots, while the lime juice adds a bit of acidity. Tamari adds some salty-umami flavours that ties it all together. To make this soup even more satisfying, I pair it with some mixed grain purple rice and puff tofu made in the air fryer.
How to Make Lemongrass and Ginger Thai Coconut Soup
This is a super easy thai coconut soup to make! Here’s the run down:
- Cook aromatics until fragrant.
- Add in the stock, coconut milk, tamari and boil.
- Reduce and let the soup simmer to further release all of its delicious flavours and soften the carrots.
How to Make Oil-Free Puff Tofu
The tofu is optional but *highly* recommended. This tofu is meant to be light on the inside while crispy on the outside, kind of like fried puff tofu.
- AIR FRYER METHOD: Cube the tofu into dice sized pieces. Dust with cornstarch and some salt. Place into air fryer basked lined with parchment paper and air fry at 400 F for 8 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket and air fry for another 8 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Try not to let the tofu touch each other.
- BAKING METHOD: Cube and bake for 20-25 minutes. Note that the baking method doesn’t really get that nice light puffy texture inside as much as air frying does. Another reason to invest in an air fryer 😉
Tips & Tricks to Making the BEST Lemongrass and Ginger Infused Thai Coconut Soup
- Releasing lemongrass flavour: Cut off the top and bottom base. Then remove the first 2-3 outer layers. Bruise and smash the lemongrass using a motor and pestle, hammer or back of a knife.
- Make it a Spicy Lemongrass Soup: Make it spicy by adding in 1-2 tbsp of yellow red curry paste.
- Add the lime juice last: I commonly see recipes including lemon juice as the soup is simmering but adding in lime juice too early can burn the flavour. Lime juice is added to enhance and compliment the other flavours so it’s best to add it last, right before serving.
- Leftovers: The leftovers are even better because it has a chance to sit overnight so it’s not a bad idea to double or triple this recipe! Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 6-7 days. Reheat over the stove or microwave until warmed.
Helpful Tools to Make this Lemongrass and Ginger Infused Thai Coconut Soup
- Medium-Large Soup Pot
- Air fryer: for the best oil-free puff tofu!
- Mortar and pestle: to smash the lemongrass
And there you have it! A cozy, creamy delicious Thai Coconut Soup infused with ginger and lemongrass. So satisfying thanks to the tofu and rice and best of all, incredibly easy to make! This soup is really great for meal prep as well since the longer it sits, the more time it has to infuse all of those delicious aromatics into the soup.
I hope you try and enjoy this Lemongrass Ginger Thai Coconut Soup! I really think you’ll love it and become a part of your soup rotation.
More Delicious Vegan Soups for the Colder Season!
- 1-Pot Curried Tomato Soup
- Fire Roasted Red Lentil Tomato Soup
- Kabocha Brown Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- 1-Pot Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Broccoli Mac & Cheese Soup
If you recreate this Lemongrass and Ginger Thai Coconut Soup recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!