Lemon Shiso Shortbread Cookies full of citrusy flavour with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. Buttery, rich and perfect for holiday cookie boxes.
Table of Contents
- Sugar: To infuse the flavour of lemon and shiso better, granulated sugar is used for these cookies.
- Lemon: We’ll need the zest of one lemon. Be sure to use only the outer part and not to zest the inner white pith. Lime or yuzu would also work great for this recipe!
- Flour: Ideally cake flour, as it gives that melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Shiso leaves: What makes these shortbread cookies unique! Shiso adds a distinct herby flavour to them that pairs wonderfully with lemon.
- Unsalted butter: I use my homemade plant based butter but any butter can be used. If using plant based butter, please use the block butters and not the ones in the tubs.
- Honey: The secret ingredient that adds a little moisture and crumbly texture to these cookies. This can be substituted agave.
How to make lemon shiso shortbread
- Grind the sugar, lemon zest and shiso until a sandy-like texture. This can be done in a suribachi (Japanese motor and pestle) or food processor.
- Process the sugar, flour and salt. Then pulse blend in the cubed butter.
- Roll the dough into a log and tightly wrap with plastic with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge.
- Coat the dough in sesame sugar mixture (optional step).
- Slice the log of cookie dough and sprinkle reserved shiso sugar. You can also place a fresh sugared shiso leaf on top for a different look.
- Place them onto a lined baking tray about 2 inches apart, and bake for 14 minutes.
- Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking tray and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Store Lemon Shiso Shortbread Cookies
Once the cookies have cooled, transfer to an air tight container and store at room temperature for 5-7 days. Shortbread cookies also freeze well! Place in a air tight freezer safe bag and remove excess air and freeze for up to 2 months.
Shortbread Cookie Recipe FAQ
They’re on the more tender side of shortbread cookies that melt in your mouth!
I have only tested these with regular cake flour so I can’t guarantee they will come out the same, however feel free to experiment with an all purpose gluten free flour.
Enjoy!! If you make this Lemon Shiso Shortbread Cookies recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rating and if you decide to share it on socials, tag me on instagram @Okonomikitchen. I’d love to hear from you 😁!Print