This Korean Spinach Side Dish (Sigeumchi-namul) is seasoned with sesame oil, garlic and soy sauce. A simple spinach recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make with incredible flavour. Vegan + Gluten free option!
Something I absolutely LOVE about going to Korean restaurants is their offering of a variety of banchans. What are banchans? Banchans are basically a variety of small side dishes served with mains or rice in Korean cuisine. If you’ve never been to a Korean restaurant before, I highly recommend visiting a couple to experience all the different kinds of Korean side dishes! Today I’ll be sharing a Korean Spinach Side Dish recipe AKA Sigeumchi-namul, one of my favourites!
Ingredients to make Korean Spinach Salad
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
A recipe can not get easier than this. You probably already have these ingredients in your kitchen too!
How to make Korean Spinach Side Dish
- Mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and sesame seeds in a bowl.
- The spinach is quickly blanched for around 30 seconds. If using the spinach with stems, it could take around 45 seconds, just so the stems get cooked as well. Quickly shock the spinach with ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Squeeze out the excess water and slice the ball into 1/2 of 1/3.
- Season with the dressing and mix with your hands to combine well. Serve & enjoy!
What does this Korean Spinach Side Dish taste like?
This Korean side dish is SO packed with flavour because of the spinach salad dressing mix. The spinach should not be over cooked. It should retain a slightly crispy texture but still be tender. The pairing of sesame, soy sauce and garlic is a classic and so tasty! To make a Korean spicy spinach side dish, you can also add a bit of Korean chili flakes (just a pinch).
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy spinach, I highly recommend trying this Korean Banchan recipe out! It might become your new favourite way of eating nutrition packed spinach.
More Korean Side Dishes to Love:
- Chilled Spicy Tofu (COMING SOON)
- Pickled Carrot & Radish Salad (COMING SOON)
- Mung Bean Side Dish (COMING SOON)
- Vegan Kimbap
If you recreate this Korean Spinach Side Dish recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!Print
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!