Ketchup Fried Rice is a western-inspired fried rice, cooked in a sweet and tangy ketchup based sauce. It's highly popular in Japan, and for good reason: it's quick, easy and full of flavour!Print
Ketchup Fried Rice
Ketchup Fried Rice is a western-inspired fried rice, cooked in a sweet and tangy ketchup based sauce. It's highly popular in Japan, and for good reason: it's quick, easy and full of flavour!
- 1 rice bowl / 1 heaping cup (225 g) cooked leftover rice
- ¼ (50 g) onion, finely diced
- 1 (60 g) vegan hot dog
- ⅓ cup (55 g) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- dried parsley, for topping (optional)
- 2 - 2 ½ tablespoon (30 - 37 g) ketchup
- 1 tsp japanese worcestershire sauce*
- ½ tsp vegetable consomme or vegetable stock powder
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Mix all the sauce ingredients to a bowl and set aside.
- Add cooking oil to a pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook for another minute.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauce and cook until excess liquid has evaporated.
- Add in the rice, salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds, coating in the sauce. Add the butter and cook for another 30 seconds. Add more salt/pepper to taste. Transfer to serving plate.
- Top with dried parsley and enjoy!
- *can be substituted with soy sauce
Oh. My. Goodness. SOOOfreaking good!
I didn’t have the right Worcestershire sauce so I used a vegan one I had and also soy sauce and it turned out so amazing! Also added some vegan egg and just wow. Super good and absolutely going into my meal rotation!
It was very good. I used chickpea tempeh instead of hotdog and dark mushroom soy sauce instead of vegan worcestershire because I didn't find that sauce. We really liked it and will make it again !
Super quick and easy to make 🤩 absolutely delicious 🥰 will definitely do it again ❤️
Raihana Funoon says
I came across this recipe almost as a lifesaver. I tried this with some leftover rice when I had a hard time to swallow my day to day meals, this recipe was so easy, just a small mixture if ketchup, Soy sauce and any veg stock powder. It sounds perfect for someone like me who wouldn't bother to spend half an hour or more in the kitchen for a quick meal. Honestly I wasn't expecting it'll turn out to be too good but wow. Once I made, this was so amazing, even my siblings had a small share from my bowl of rice. I'd definitely love to follow this simple recipe for quick stirred fried rice on busy days. Love how this small combination gives an amazing taste!
Easy to follow recipe that also made it simple to swap out ingredients for what you already have in your fridge.
Absolutely loved this recipe! So quick and easy yet so yummy. Will make this whenever I have leftover rice from now on!
Lisa Vieceli says
I love this recipe! I love ALL recipe!
I'm Italian and I discovered this blog via tik tok, the best discovery ever!