If you recreate this Kabocha Mochi recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 300 g raw kabocha
- 5–8 tbsp (50–80 g) potato starch
- 1 tbsp (15 g ) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (50 g) cheese, optional
- Cut kabocha into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes on high, until soft. Once cooled, cut off the skin.
- Mash with a fork. Start with 4 tbsp of potato starch and mix together until well combined. Depending on the moisture content of the kabocha, you may need to add up to 8 tbsp of potato starch. Adding more potato starch will yield a firmer chewy mochi, whereas adding in less will make for a softer mochi.
- Divide the mixture into 4-5 amounts. Oil your hands and then place one portion of the kabocha mash in your hands. Flatten and stuff with cheese (or other filling of choice). You can also just roll them into a ball and flatten them into a small pancake.
- Heat vegan butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the mochi and pan fry each side until golden brown (about 1 1/2-2 minutes per side). If the edges look uncooked, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until edges are cooked.
- Serve immediently and enjoy!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!