Vegan Unagi Chazuke. Glazed and broiled eggplant kabayaki served over rice with tea or dashi poured over for a warming and comforting quick and easy meal!
If you recreate this Unagi Chazuke recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 2 Eggplant Kabayaki, prepared
- 2 cups cooked Japanese short grain rice
- ½ sheet nori, cut into strips
- ½ cup kombu dashi
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp tea of choice
- ¼ tsp Japanese soy sauce
- ½ tsp mirin, optional
- pinch of salt, to taste
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
- wasabi, optional
- Japanese pickled, optional
- Japanese white sansho pepper, optional
- Add tea leaves to a steeper and pour over water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Warm up the kombu dashi over medium low heat. Then pour kombu dashi into the tea pot. You can add Japanese soy sauce, mirin and some salt to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare the eggplant kabayaki as instructed in my Unagi Don recipe.
- Add rice to a bowl and brush the rice with more unagi sauce. Add cut up nori strips and then place the eggplant unagi on top. Ganish with sesame seeds and scallions.
- Pour the tea dashi over. Serve with condiments of choice and enjoy!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!