Crispy Rice Bowls
If you recreate this Crispy Rice Bowl recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 2 cups (500g) cooked rice
- 1 tbsp (10g) sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Japanese soy sauce, optional
- 2 tbsp (30ml) sesame oil
‘Gyuudon’ Style Tofu
- 8oz firm or extra firm tofu, drained and patted dried
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 1 small onion (110g), sliced
- 2/3 cup kombu dashi
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp (3ml) dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) sake
- 1 tbsp (12g) cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- Add sesame seeds (and soy sauce if using) to the rice and mix together. Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to a pan and brush to coat the entire pan. Add 1 portion of the rice and then flatten it with a spatula. Cook each side for about 5-8 minutes over medium high or until crispy on both sides. Repeat with remaining half.
- Crumble tofu into a bowl. Dust potato starch over and toss to coat. Add oil to a pan over medium high and fry the tofu for 2 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Add the kombu dashi, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sake, cane sugar and ginger to a bowl and whisk together. Then pour into a pan over medium high along with the onions. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until onions are almost finished cooking. Once onions are softened, add the tofu and cook until sauce has reduced. Remove from heat.
- Crumble the rice into a bowl and then top with half the amount of tofu. Serve with pickled ginger, scallions or sesame seeds and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!