Elevate your dumplings with these crispy dumpling cheese wings!
I made some miso cheese gyoza during the holidays and we received some vegan cheese to try. We wanted to see how it would melt up so we threw some in a pan with the gyoza and what came out was this wing-like crunchy crispy cheese goodness.
Working with cheese wings is different than your typical slurry. The first time, I did the fry, steam (w/ h2o + cheese) and fry, but the cheese doesn’t get super crispy. I tried with a few different methods (+heat), and found this order to yield the best results without burning.
If you recreate this Crispy Dumpling Cheese Wings recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Kimchi Miso Gyoza
- 12–14 wrappers
- 1/2 cup (120 g) vegan grounds OR tofu*
- 1/2 cup (100 g) napa cabbage kimchi, finely chopped
- 1 scallion (14 g), sliced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 tsp perilla oil or sesame oil(optional, for flavour)
- 1 tsp miso
- 50ml water
- 50g cheese of choice (I used violife and daiya)
- Add vegan grounds, kimchi, scallion, ginger, perilla oil and miso to a bowl. Mix to combine. Add 1 heaping tbsp of filling in the middle and pleat. Repeat until all filling is used. Place on a potato starch dusted tray and keep covered.
For the cheesy wings:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium. Turn off the heat and then line up the gyoza.
- Turn on heat to low and add hot water, cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the cheese and bake for 10 minus on low/medium low heat until crispy.
- Kimchi and tofu contain a lot of water. Excess moisture should be removed or dumpling wrappers may tear.
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!