Chili Oil Fried Rice. Delicious fried rice with a spicy kick and packed with umami.
If you recreate this Chili Oil Fried Rice recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Chili Oil Fried Rice
- 2-3 tablespoon (32 ml) chili crisp oil* (I used my miso chili oil)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetarian oyster sauce
- ¼ tsp msg
- ⅛ tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 ½ cup (330g) day old rice
- ½ (90 g) block soft tofu
- ¼ tsp black salt
- pinch of turmeric, optional
- 2 (26 g) scallions, sliced
- ½ cup (120 g) vegetables of choice
- Separate chili oil from flakes using a strainer. Set aside the crispy bits. Into a large bowl, add the strained chili oil, vegetarian oyster sauce, msg, salt, pepper and day old rice. Mix until rice is coated.
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat. Add tofu, turmeric and black salt and cook until slightly fried (about 1 minute). Transfer to a plate.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of oil over medium high and stir fry mushrooms until 80% cooked.
- Drizzle in 2 teaspoon of oil and add the rice and white part of scallions and cook for a few minutes until rice is heated. Add the tofu back in and toss together.
- Add the scallions and crispy bits of chili oil at the end, toss it all together. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Then remove from heat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- *If you do not have chili oil on hand, you can make a small batch. Add ¼ teaspoon sugar, 1 grated garlic, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon gochugaru, 1 teaspoon togarashi and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes to a bowl. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil to 180 C (or right before smoking) and pour over the mixture. Once sizzling has stopped, add in 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 ½ teaspoon miso paste, 2 teaspoon sesame oil and ¼ teaspoon soy sauce. Stir to combine and use in the fried rice.
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!