Chili Oil Fried Rice. Delicious fried rice with a spicy kick and packed with umami.
If you recreate this Chili Oil Fried Rice recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 2–3 tbsp (32 ml) chili crisp oil* (I used my miso chili oil)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp msg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) day old rice
- 1/2 (90 g) block soft tofu
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- pinch of turmeric, optional
- 2 (26 g) scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup (120 g) vegetables of choice
- Separate chili oil from flakes using a strainer. Set aside the crispy bits. Into a large bowl, add the strained chili oil, vegetarian oyster sauce, msg, salt, pepper and day old rice. Mix until rice is coated.
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat. Add tofu, turmeric and black salt and cook until slightly fried (about 1 minute). Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil over medium high and stir fry mushrooms until 80% cooked.
- Drizzle in 2 tsp of oil and add the rice and white part of scallions and cook for a few minutes until rice is heated. Add the tofu back in and toss together.
- Add the scallions and crispy bits of chili oil at the end, toss it all together. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Then remove from heat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- *If you do not have chili oil on hand, you can make a small batch. Add 1/4 tsp sugar, 1 grated garlic, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 tsp gochugaru, 1 tsp togarashi and 1 tsp red pepper flakes to a bowl. Heat 2 tbsp of oil to 180 C (or right before smoking) and pour over the mixture. Once sizzling has stopped, add in 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1 1/2 tsp miso paste, 2 tsp sesame oil and 1/4 tsp soy sauce. Stir to combine and use in the fried rice.
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!