This Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food! Tender soft gnocchi covered in a dairy free creamy cheese sauce, you won’t even know it’s vegan, gluten free and actually healthy!
Yesterday I shared how to make homemade Cauliflower Gnocchi. Today, I’ll be sharing one of my favourite ways to serve it! Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac and Cheese. YES you heard right. We’re combining two classic comfort foods and I know, there’s no macaroni in this so I think a more appropriate name would be Gnoc’ n’ Cheese.
Think soft, tender and chewy gnocchi covered in a creamy cheesy delicious sauce… your taste buds are about to be blown away. But plot twist, this recipe for Gnocchi Mac n’ Cheese is actually healthy and you won’t feel weighed down after eating it! It’s dairy free, gluten free, vegan and made from vegetables, a bit of cashews, nutritional yeast and spices.
This dish is perfect for a quick weeknight comfort food dinner or you can also fancy it up by baking it for dinner parties. Hint hint, thanksgiving in American is right around the corner and Christmas is coming 😉.
Alright, who’s ready to make some Vegan Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac & Cheese?!
Ingredients to Make Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
The Mac and Cheese sauce is based off my favourite Vegan Cheese Sauce recipe. Here’s what goes in this dreamy creamy sauce:
- Cauliflower Gnocchi: or 2 cups (500g) gnocchi
- Soy milk: or any plant based milk to get it the right consistency
- Potatoes: adds thickness and creaminess
- Carrots: gives it that classic slight orange colour and adds a bit of sweetness
- Cashews: to make it extra creamy!
- Nutritional yeast: of course, for it’s cheesy flavour
The additional flavour also comes from garlic, mustard, miso paste, lemon juice, onion powder, paprika and salt.
How to Make Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac and Cheese
This Gnocchi Mac and Cheese is actually REALLY easy and quick to make. Especially if you just buy the gnocchi, thats one less thing to do. However, making your own really isn’t hard either — you can decide based on how you’re feelin’. But let me give you a quick run down of how to make this delicious Gnoc’ n Cheese:
- Cook up the gnocchi. Boiled, baked or air fried (my preferred way)
- Make the cheese sauce by blending all the ingredients
- Toss the gnocchi and cheese sauce together
And thats it! Super simple and easy. Garnish with some red pepper flakes, pepper and vegan parmesan.
To take it to the next level: you can also bake it and crisp up the top! This is especially worth it if you didn’t air fry or bake the gnocchi. Do this by transferring the Gnoc’ and Cheese into a baking dish and top it with some bread crumbs (or pancko) and vegan shredded cheese. Bake it at 375 F for 20-25 minutes, just until the cheese is melted and the bread crumbs have turned golden brown. This would be amazing to share during the holidays!
Can you make Gnoc’ n’ Cheese in advance?
Yes! This Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac & Cheese is make-ahead friendly.
- Method one: Prep the cheese sauce and store it in an air tight container. Freeze the homemade gnocchi or snag some gnocchi at the store. When ready, just cook up the gnocchi and then mix together with the cheese sauce.
- Method two: Cook the gnocchi and make the cheese sauce. Mix it together and then let it cool. Place it into the fridge covered. When ready, top with vegan cheese and bread crumbs and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.
Can you Freeze Gnocchi Mac & Cheese?
I wouldn’t suggest freezing it once you mix in the sauce and gnocchi, however you can freeze the gnocchi. If the sauce is frozen, it might produce some excess water once defrosted, but you can heat it up in a small sauce pan to evaporate the excess liquid. Once the sauce is defrosted, cook the gnocchi and pour the cheese sauce on top.
I REALLY hope you guys try this one out. It’s seriously the ultimate comfort food that you can easily make for weeknight dinners or fancy it up for holiday parties! It’s also a great way to get your friends and family involved in the kitchen 🙂
More Vegan Cheese Dishes to Try!
- The BEST Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Vegan Supreme Mac & Cheese
- Broccoli Mac & Cheese Soup
- Vegan Mac & Cheese 3 Ways
If you recreate this Cauliflower Gnocchi Mac and Cheese recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!